Get ready for the Big Atlas Weekend! (25-27 June)

Doug Hitchcox

Jun 21, 2021, 10:09:23 PM6/21/21
to Bird Alerts
I’m excited to announce this weekend is will be the first-ever “Big Atlas Weekend”, a multi-state competition for birders to focus on breeding birds, build birding skills, and come together as a birding community. There will also be a chance to win prizes from different Atlasing challenges.

Anyone can participate by birding between 6:00 pm Friday, June 25 and 11:59 pm Sunday, June 27 and submitting checklists through the Maine Bird Atlas portal in eBird.

You can read the full details about the event here: https://ebird.org/atlasme/news/big-atlas-weekend-june-25-27/
Important to note we’ll be hosting a Kickoff Event on Wednesday night (23 June @ 7PM), which will include a presentation by Purbita Saha and Stephanie Beilke from the Galbatross Project talking about female bird song and identification and female bird days.
Our usual Maine Bird Atlas Weekly Q&A (24 June @ 6:30PM) will have a Big Atlas Weekend focus - bring any questions!
Links for these events, plus the various challenges and prizes are in the above event post.

And most importantly!!! There will be an interstate competition between four state currently conducting atlasing: New York, Maine, Maryland-DC, and North Carolina. We’ll compete based on nocturnal effort hours in priority blocks, confirmed codes submitted in priority blocks, and number of atlas checklists submitted with at least one coded species. Let’s bring the Big Atlas Weekend Champion trophy to Maine!

Good birding and happy atlasing!

Doug Hitchcox
Maine Bird Atlas - Outreach Coordinator
Maine Audubon - Staff Naturalist
207-781-2330 x237
dhit...@maineaudubon.org

Bill Blauvelt

Jun 22, 2021, 6:53:28 AM6/22/21
to Doug Hitchcox, Bird Alerts
I will be out there atlasing this weekend. I moved from Maine to Maryland so I am on an opposing team.
I think competitions like this are a great idea.
Have fun out there everyone.
Bill Blauvelt