Banded American Oystercatcher

Seth Benz

Jul 13, 2022, 5:20:07 PM7/13/22
to Maine Birds, Welch, Linda
Dear All,
I recently photo'd an American Oystercatcher on Egg Rock in Washington County about 2.5 miles north of Petit Manan Island.  I would appreciate receiving any guidance on how to find out about the banding origin, and figure whoever is doing the study would want to know one of "their" birds has been spotted.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Seth

7OHNGALiTYi22qHpUxNUAw_thumb_b03e.jpg

Seth Benz

Bird Ecology Program Director

Schoodic Institute at Acadia National Park t: 207.288.1350     c: 207.412.8677
e: sb...@schoodicinstitute.org
w: www.schoodicinstitute.org
m: P.O. Box 277, Winter Harbor, Maine 04693

Discover the secrets of birds and birding in Acadia

Charles Duncan

Jul 13, 2022, 5:41:21 PM7/13/22
to Seth Benz, maine-birds Google Groups, Linda Welch
Hi Seth—

I was going to suggest you try BandeBirds.org which allows one to report and/or map sightings of a variety of species, but especially shorebirds.  I tried entering your AMOY with (what seems like) a white leg band labelled “UC.”  I came up empty.  That means either the band isn’t white, but some other color faded to look white, or that the researches haven’t entered their data into that database.  Sorry!

I’ll be interested to know what you may come up with!

Charles

Charles D. Duncan
76 Emery Street
Portland, Maine 04102, USA

On Jul 13, 2022, at 5:19 PM, Seth Benz <sb...@schoodicinstitute.org> wrote:

Dear All,
I recently photo'd an American Oystercatcher on Egg Rock in Washington County about 2.5 miles north of Petit Manan Island.  I would appreciate receiving any guidance on how to find out about the banding origin, and figure whoever is doing the study would want to know one of "their" birds has been spotted.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Seth

<7OHNGALiTYi22qHpUxNUAw_thumb_b03e.jpg>

Seth Benz
Bird Ecology Program Director

Schoodic Institute at Acadia National Park t: 207.288.1350     c: 207.412.8677
e: sb...@schoodicinstitute.org
w: www.schoodicinstitute.org
m: P.O. Box 277, Winter Harbor, Maine 04693

Discover the secrets of birds and birding in Acadia

Donald Thompson

Jul 13, 2022, 5:46:02 PM7/13/22
to Charles Duncan, Seth Benz, maine-birds Google Groups, Linda Welch
I go to American oystercatcher working group. They have a report form and information.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Seth Benz

Jul 13, 2022, 6:09:58 PM7/13/22
to Donald Thompson, Charles Duncan, Linda Welch, maine-birds Google Groups
Thank you!

Ralph Eldridge

Jul 13, 2022, 7:09:17 PM7/13/22
to Charles Duncan, Seth Benz, maine-birds Google Groups, Linda Welch
FYI: Charles dropped a letter in the link. Correct spelling is bandedbirds.org