Raft of Razorbills off of Seawall today (Acadia National Park)

Craig Kesselheim

Dec 18, 2022, 8:07:14 PM12/18/22
to Maine Birders Listserv
Hi all - Part of today's MDI Christmas Bird Count for the team I was on included the Seawall Picnic area in Acadia National Park. In our scope, we counted a raft of 40 Razorbills, presumably brought in close by this weekend's weather system. The birds were rafting and resting, not flying by, and we had good looks in our scope of their massive bills and their unique resting silhouettes (bills pointed slightly upward, black-and white coloration, and a few in short-distance flights). I have never seen 40 Razorbills from the mainland, and only infrequently see single Razorbills in the immediate waters off of MDI.

Best,
Craig K
Southwest Harbor