Bobolinks

Bob Crowley

Jun 7, 2021, 11:17:12 AM6/7/21
to New Hampshire Birds, Maine Birds, VERMONT RARE BIRD REPORTS

Am I the only one noticing a decline of Boblinks this year? I have only had one sighting and that was of two males perched in a tree

Bob Crowley

Chatham, NH

Julia Hanauer-Milne

Jun 7, 2021, 12:39:48 PM6/7/21
to Bob Crowley, Maine Birds, New Hampshire Birds, VERMONT RARE BIRD REPORTS
I have our normal number here (about 8 pairs), but the haying schedule is brutal. Bobolinks are declining in Maine about 3% each year, in large part because of ag practices. The ones in the fields around my house didn’t make it last year— except for the one newly hatched baby I found in a nest. I don’t own the land, the fields are leased out,  and the owner won’t intervene for various reasons. He’s a good guy, it’s just that his sympathies are with the farmers.

I have reached out to Ag Allies who have approached the farmers, so we’ll see about this year. It might be a good resource for others.

Julia

Jill

Jun 7, 2021, 1:15:40 PM6/7/21
to Bob Crowley, New Hampshire Birds, Maine Birds, VERMONT RARE BIRD REPORTS
We have the same number here in Pittsfield, Maine as usual, I’d say - I should have 2-3 pairs nesting in my fields (we don’t hay until August).

Robert Ridgely

Jun 7, 2021, 3:01:22 PM6/7/21
to Jill, Bob Crowley, New Hampshire Birds, Maine Birds, VERMONT RARE BIRD REPORTS
Numbers seem modest around Sandwich too. Everything now depends on how the weather behaves over the next few weeks. Right now it’s pretty dry, so haying likely will be early

Sent from my iPhone

KAZ

Jun 7, 2021, 5:01:22 PM6/7/21
to Maine birds
I live around a site that  used to have large numbers of bobolinks (across the road from my house) now it is farmed and they cut and hay- so not anymore- i see a few where there are other fields . BUT better a farm than a housing development!n