Whippoorwill magic, Industry

Scott Cronenweth

Jun 21, 2020, 1:44:56 PM6/21/20
to Maine Birds
Greetings, crepuscular bird-loving friends! To share the nightjar joy, celebrate Summer and totally date myself musically, please indulge me as I cheezily paraphrase some 1980s Donna Summer lyrics: “I’m so excited — woo-wee! — and I just can’t hide it! We’ve got a “probable" breeding Whippoorwill and his call is magic!”

I first started hearing the EWPW in the last week of May. He called for extended periods close to the house for 6 nights. Then I didn’t hear him again for about 10 nights. I was so bummed! I thought he had probably passed on our scruffy little meadow and raggedy clearcut woods. But no! He was just calling from further downslope, and calling for shorter periods (seemingly) only at twilight and predawn.

Yesterday evening, as the long day waned, I excused myself from a conversation with guests and stood outside for a bit. I could hear our local Veery, Hermit Thrush and Eastern Wood-Pewee against a background of American Toads and insects. Lightning bugs were everywhere. Our Barred Owl pair joined the chorus, followed closely by a lone coyote. Then the Whippoorwill took his solo from just beside the deck.

Donna Summer could never match that.

Peace & good night birding,
Scott Cronenweth
Industry, ME

Logan Parker

Jun 22, 2020, 4:09:07 PM6/22/20
to Maine birds
Great account, Scott!

Very glad to hear we have another probable whip-poor-will record in the Atlas.

Logan

Tony Federer

Jun 24, 2020, 9:07:10 AM6/24/20
to Maine birds
Anyone who needs a whippoorwill fix should spend a night at the Blueberry Fields Bed and Breakfast in the town of Washington. For the two nights we have been here we have been serenaded at 9 pm and 4 am. The bird starts in the front yard just off the big front porch before making his round of the fields. Tonight I will try to see him. Apparently this bird or his ancestors have been singing here almost every June night for 7 or 8 years. Blueberryfieldsbandb.com - stay in the Bryant Pond room.

Tony Federer

DWilde

Jun 27, 2020, 3:29:01 PM6/27/20
to Maine birds
The creature in these photos taken in Troy this (June 27) afternoon was
about the size of a June bug, and for a few seconds our eyes were trying
to make an insect out of it. I cannot find any pictures of hummingbirds
that resemble this. Thanks for any help.
in_lilac_1a.jpg
in_lilac_2.jpg

Tony Ferrara

Jun 27, 2020, 4:11:42 PM6/27/20
to DWilde, Maine birds
Hi -

It looks like a clearwing sphinx moth. Beautiful insect!

Here's an article and pic:
Gardeners with butterfly bushes usually look forward to visits from this fast-flying insect. Zipping from flower cluster to flower cluster, here's a critter that looks vaguely like a bee but behaves like a hummingbird. Unlike a bee, which has to land on a flower to feed, the clearwing sphinx moth hovers above its food like a hummingbird.

Jun 27, 2020, 6:39:56 PM6/27/20
to DWilde, Maine birds
I agree with Tony. We had our usual yearly visit from a clearwing here a few days back.
Remember this beautiful creature when you find hornworms in the garden. For this and the other hawkmoths are what they will turn into!
I enjoy having them around just as much as hummingbirds.

Steve

Ours was a Diervilla Clearwing (Hemaris aethra)