MACHIAS SEAL ISLAND REPORT

RALPH ELDRIDGE

Jan 11, 2023, 10:06:56 AM1/11/23
to Maine birds
I returned to MSI on the 7th, after being delayed for a couple days because of high risk for icing conditions.
The flight from Beaver Harbour to Southwest Head, across the Grand Manan Channel and down the west side of Grand Manan didn't reveal many birds, as would be expected this time of year.
Notable, but expected, were numerous "white gulls", most likely ICELAND GULLS, with maybe a couple GLAUCOUS in the mix.
HERRING & GREAT BLACK BACKED GULLS were sprinkled about but in low numbers.
A total of 5 EAGLES were spotted, perched, with 3 of them along the western cliffs of Grand Manan.
KITTIWAKES were active close under the southern cliffs of Grand Manan, along with a few ALCIDS (presumed RAZORBILLS).
The Kittiwakes became widely spread out between Grand Manan and MSI.
Not much else along that leg of the trip, other than a handful of Herring Gulls, a couple GREAT CORMORANTS and one GREAT SHEARWATER.
Closer to MSI, activity picked up, with more large gulls, a handful of RED BREASTED MERGANSERS, perhaps 2 dozen COMMON EIDERS, 1 COMMON LOON, 2 EAGLES, 2 RAVENS, ~ 6 CORMORANTS and 50 or so HARLEQUIN DUCKS.

I've made a couple treks around the island this week, with expected results: no shore birds; varying number of Herring & Gr. Bkl. Backed Gulls; 35-55 Harlequins; 2-6 Red Breasted Mergansers; 3 individual Eagles; 2 Ravens and Kittiwakes foraging over the waters according to the tides.
Of note: a FULMAR being pursued by an Eagle. When last seen, the Fulmar seemed to be escaping.

On land, I've seen about 6 SONG SPARROWS, 1 JUNCO and 1 LAPLAND LONGSPUR.
The Song Sparrows are what I'd expect. The Junco and Longspur likely won't stay for long.

There are a few GRAY SEALS around, typical for the season. Their number should begin to increase in a month or so, after they pup down the coast.