sean hatch test

peter morelli

Jan 28, 2021, 4:21:01 PM1/28/21
to Maine-birds
i notice Sean Hatch doing a test. I also bumped into someone the other day who didn’t see his own post. That’s the default here. There may be a toggle somewhere to change it.

Doug Hitchcox

Jan 28, 2021, 5:42:58 PM1/28/21
to Bird Alerts
Gmail does not show messages you send in your Inbox, even if you receive them back from a mailing list. They claim this is to “prevent clutter”: https://support.google.com/a/answer/1703601?hl=en

I’ve heard from several people that are still having trouble posting to the group since Google changed the user interface last May, so here is a link to the post where I explained options for posting: https://groups.google.com/g/maine-birds/c/S9ALWIfT0KU/m/CEO6_42FCgAJ

Hope this helps,

Doug Hitchcox

On Jan 28, 2021, at 4:20 PM, peter morelli <pmor...@gmail.com> wrote:

i notice Sean Hatch doing a test. I also bumped into someone the other day who didn’t see his own post. That’s the default here. There may be a toggle somewhere to change it.

Charles Duncan

Jan 29, 2021, 9:44:36 AM1/29/21
to Doug Hitchcox, Maine birds
Oddly enough, I do get my own posts back in my Inbox, both on gmail and Apple Mail.  Not sure why I do and others apparently don’t.

As long as we’re on listserv issues, many posts by others to Maine-Birds end up in my Junk mailbox.  If I drag them to Inbox, then future posts from that person are OK.  Does anyone else have this problem, or have a solution?  I feel like I may miss a lot.

Thanks,

Charles

Charles D. Duncan
76 Emery Street
Portland, Maine 04102, USA

Tammy Packie

Jan 29, 2021, 9:47:30 AM1/29/21
to Charles Duncan, Doug Hitchcox, Maine birds
Many of mine have been going to the spam folder. I try to remember to check it, but not often enough and I have missed interesting posts.. Any suggestions?
Tammy

Weston Barker

Jan 29, 2021, 10:07:46 AM1/29/21
to Tammy Packie, Charles Duncan, Doug Hitchcox, Maine birds
I’ve also had problems with listserv posts going to my Gmail spam folder. In the past almost all of them would, but after so many times clicking the “report not spam “ button I don’t have so much of a problem with it anymore.

Weston

David Glenn-Lewin

Jan 29, 2021, 10:09:50 AM1/29/21
to Tammy Packie, Charles Duncan, Doug Hitchcox, Maine birds
Try putting the Maine Birds in your contacts/address book.  I have it in my contacts and I get all the posts.

Dgl

Sent from my iPad

Marie Jordan

Jan 29, 2021, 10:38:15 AM1/29/21
to Doug Hitchcox, Maine birds
Interesting conversation - I was wondering why many folks were not posting on Maine Birds lately.
I do not check my spam folder very often - this conversation got me to do so.
To my surprise, I found many Maine Bird posts there as well as a number of eBird alerts - I get eBird emails for unusual birds reported (#3 and up) .
So some were coming into my mailbox as expected while others were going to spam.
Why this is happening is the mystery that folks are now talking about - what is the difference between those that go into spam from those that come directly into my mailbox??

For a long time, when I want my own Maine Birds posts to show up in my inbox, I have had to send that post to myself as well Maine Birds.

Hopefully someone will find a solution so that everyone's posts come into our gmail and other inboxes instead of spam.
Meanwhile I guess I need to check my spam daily.

Good luck.
Marie

Steve Plumb

Jan 29, 2021, 11:04:11 AM1/29/21
to Charles Duncan, Doug Hitchcox, Maine birds
Yes, I do as well. Using apple mail.
I recently reset/deleted all the junk/spam settings as every one of the Maine Birds emails was going to the Junk folder. Marking as "not Junk" wasn't helping. At first they all still went to Junk but marking as not junk now corrects it. But only for that sender.
I feel like this all started early last year and can't recall doing software upgrade which might have triggered it.

Odd thing is, adding Maine Birds to a rule or VIP list doesn't help. And no other googlegroups list has the same issue.

Steve

-------
Steve Plumb
455 E Pond Rd
Nobleboro, ME 04555
207 701-1899

Jennifer Miller

Jan 29, 2021, 12:09:24 PM1/29/21
to maine...@googlegroups.com

If you have Gmail, you can create a filter that ensures that all emails sent from a certain address are sent to the inbox and kept out of spam.

Jennifer Miller
Lubbock, TX

(o,o)
 /)_)
  " "

Blog:

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 9:47 AM Tammy Packie <tpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Many of mine have been going to the spam folder. I try to remember to check it, but not often enough and I have missed interesting posts.. Any suggestions?
Tammy

David Doubleday

Jan 29, 2021, 3:00:42 PM1/29/21
to Charles Duncan, David Doubleday, Doug Hitchcox, maine...@googlegroups.com
I just found more than thirty Maine Birds posts in my junk folder…some from people I email with.  Dave D

Sharon F.

Jan 29, 2021, 3:11:45 PM1/29/21
to Maine birds
I check my junk folder on Hotmail every day for posts and have done so for the past few months. There are always quite a few bird emails; I've tried making adjustments but they only work for a while.   Sharon (formerly) in West K.

Jan 29, 2021, 3:24:33 PM1/29/21
to sfinl...@hotmail.com, maine...@googlegroups.com
FWIW. I check my Spam folder every day, and have never had a Maine-birds email there. I have an old Apple Mac and use an old (but soon changing) browser, on AOL. I wondered why there were fewer emails from birders, but figured they all switched to using only eBird. I get mine.
Barbara. Sanford