Observation - no robins????? Benton

AMF

Apr 11, 2021, 11:20:08 AM4/11/21
to Maine Birds List Serve
Question.. and observation...

I usually have lots of robins around the farm.  Some nest in the open
pole barn.  They usually are out getting worms in the morning on the
large mowed grass lawn in the back or the lawns across the street.  No
morning and evening songs from the robins sitting on the peaks of the
buildings.  Not one robin.... Anyone else observe that the robins are
missing?  Did my robins just not make it back from their winter vacation?

Are they just late coming back?  They are usually back before the snow
has fully left the fields.

Allan

jon edstrom

Apr 11, 2021, 11:26:48 AM4/11/21
to Maine Birds List Serve, AMF
Many robins in Biddeford. In winter and presently.

Jon Edstrom

Steve Plumb

Apr 11, 2021, 4:03:29 PM4/11/21
to Maine Birds
Here in Nobleboro we've been light on robins as well. I've yet to see more than 2 at a time. A typical year has a gang of the males showing up on the hillside in late March. We often have the earliest open ground in the neighborhood but this year perhaps they found plenty of snow free fields and are more spread out?

Steve

tom A

Apr 11, 2021, 5:16:58 PM4/11/21
to Maine birds
Hey Allan,

I have been noticing this all winter.  My theory is that the severe drought in our area this past summer (probably even worse in Unity where I live) pretty much wiped out much of the food supply including small fruits and weed seeds.  The wintering robins really depend on the small fruit crop.  This year near me, we basically had almost no robins overwinter.  By now, they usually seem to have switched to invertebrates, but perhaps some portion of their diet might still be small fruits from last year.  We have a few nesting pairs around, but I think overall numbers are still down because migrant robins continue to move on to greener pastures.

How about the low goldfinch numbers?  I think it is again drought related but different food sources.

Good birding and pray for rain,
tom

BARBARA P HERRGESELL

Apr 11, 2021, 5:38:43 PM4/11/21
to tom A, Maine birds
Fewer robins here on my street in outer Sanford too. I hear one singing away just about dusk, as they are wont to do, and one digging on the yard yesterday, but not coming up with anything. No more than 2, if ever that.
Only one goldfinch at a time lately too.
Had a first fall/winter White-crowned Sparrow, I believe, this morning. Matching the  new Peterson picture.
Barb
Sanford

Sent from my iPhone

William Reid

Apr 12, 2021, 9:23:58 AM4/12/21
to BARBARA P HERRGESELL, tom A, Maine birds
Very few robins here in Skowhegan, too.

Will
Skowhegan

Linda Powell

Apr 12, 2021, 10:00:03 AM4/12/21
to William Reid, BARBARA P HERRGESELL, tom A, Maine birds
We've had flocks of robins in the fields around us. We have one Robin that has stuck around in our backyard and eats my mealworms. I think he must be the same one as last year because he came looking for them before I even put them out.

Linda Powell
Skowhegan