Offshore Boat Trip to Jeffrey's Ledge (Fulmars & alcids)

Steve Mirick

Jan 26, 2023, 10:56:29 AM1/26/23
to Massbird Massbird, NHBirds, Maine Birds
Yesterday, I was invited as a guest aboard the UNH research vessel "Gulf
Challenger".  The boat traveled east from New Castle, NH toward
Jeffrey's Ledge and beyond to a deep water (about 800') area known as
Wilkinson's Basin about 40-45 miles offshore from Portsmouth harbor.
The boat collected and tested sea water samples before returning.  The
course of the boat took it through ME, NH, and MA waters.  It stopped to
collect water samples at one spot just north of the Isles of Shoals, and
then in the deep water spot at Wilkinson's Basin where it spent over an
hour.  The boat traveled out and back non-stop at about 20 mph (17
knots) and did not change course for birds.

Unfortunately, the winds shifted into the east earlier than expected
and, combined with the sea chop, created a very difficult experience on
the way out.  Especially as we crossed Jeffrey's Ledge.  Many alcids
went unidentified as binoculars and camera were useless, and it became
necessary to hide under shelter to avoid splash. Fortunately, the
conditions were OK when the boat was stopped, and riding the wind back
in was comfortable.

The highlight of the trip was the large number of Northern Fulmar
throughout the offshore waters.

Cloudy all day with snow holding off until we arrived back at dock.
Temperature in 30's.
Winds - Shifting from N to ENE at 15 knots roughly for most of the day
Seas - 1 to 3 feet with moderate chop

eBird Trip report with photos:

https://ebird.org/tripreport/103855

Following is a count of birds OFFSHORE only.  Started counting at point
east of Isles of Shoals.
White-winged Scoter - 3.  Perhaps the most unusual species of the day
was a flock of 3 flying south past the boat on Wilkinson's Basin.  Seems
like an odd date for scoters to be flying this far offshore.
Dovekie - 31.  Mostly in groups of 1 to 3 birds near the side of the boat.
Common Murre - 16 including one close (the boat nearly hit them!) flock
of 11 going out.
Razorbill - 8
Atlantic Puffin - 2.  Both adult/subadults photographed by the side of
the boat as we returned.
alcid sp - 57.  Frustrating not to identify more of these, but alcids
are very difficult on this boat and the bad chop going out was
impossible to work with.  Only Dovekies near the boat could be safely ID'd.
Black-legged Kittiwake - 114.  Mostly all adults.  At least a couple of
1st winter birds identified.  Remarkably steady flight of scattered
single birds encountered all day long.  No concentrations anywhere, but
just singles to 3 birds everywhere.
Herring Gull - 39
Great Black-backed Gull - 76.  Almost all flying in to boat at
Wilkinson's after boat stopped.  Zero gulls when we arrived, but after
over an hour of standing still and working the winch, fulmar and gulls
arrive from nowhere.  By the time we left, there were over 60 Fulmar and
over 100 gulls.  No food for them as they don't seem to know the
difference between a research boat and a fishing boat! :-)
gull sp. - 30
NORTHERN FULMAR - 254.  50 going out, 62 at Wilkinson's Basin and 142 on
return including one big raft of 80 on the water on inside edge of
Jeffrey's Ledge.  Since we followed the exact same route out and back,
there is the possibility that some of these birds are double-counted,
but that's impossible to determine.  This is my highest daily count for
Jeffrey's Ledge.  Previous high counts of 187 on 2/6/09 and 142 on
10/14/19.  All of the birds were further offshore (Jeffrey's Basin or
beyond).  Over 33% of these were estimated to be dark morph birds.  At
times, the split was 50/50. Are dark morph birds increasing off the coast?
Northern Gannet - 4 all adults.

Other wildlife
Harbor Seal - 1 offshore
Dolphin sp. - perhaps 5 in small group.  Presumed Atlantic White-sided
Dolphins?

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA