Blue Jay imitating Broad-winged Hawk

Craig Kesselheim

Feb 8, 2024, 12:49:14 PMFeb 8
to Maine Birders Listserv
Good afternoon - a Blue Jay was recorded at a feeder making one of its typical vocalizations interspersed with clicks. At around second 23 on the recording, and again more faintly around second 27, you can make out the imitation of a Broad-winged Hawk.

Observation is from today, on the Beech Hill Road on Mt. Desert Island.

Craig K
Southwest Harbor

Boots.

Feb 8, 2024, 1:24:35 PMFeb 8
to Craig Kesselheim, Maine Birders Listserv
"My" Blue Jays have, for years, had me running to the window or outdoors in an attempt to catch sight of the 'Broad-winged Hawk'. Sassy birds!
~Boots.

Will

Feb 8, 2024, 6:09:13 PMFeb 8
to Maine birds
Check the call of the red-shouldered hawk.  Broad-winged hawks have more of a whistle.