Katahdin Woods & Waters

Charles Duncan

Sep 28, 2020, 2:27:51 PM9/28/20
to Maine birds
Many thanks to the several folks who responded to our request on where to look for boreal and other birds in Katahdin Woods & Waters Ntl Monument.  Each of you that shared info provided something the others hadn’t--much appreciated!

Everyone is agreed on Sandbank Campsite and nearby sections of the south loop road.

One we're back, I’ll try to compile something to share with this group as a way to pay it forward. Pretty exciting, when you think of it, to be able to explore such a “new” place and share with one another!

Bob Duchesne

Oct 5, 2020, 2:57:20 PM10/5/20
to Maine birds

After two days of good birding and so-so weather in Katahdin Woods & Waters, I can report a few noteworthy sightings.

There is a male spruce grouse haunting the right edge of the woods ¾ of the way between Sand Bank campsite and the turn into the park past the gate. My wife suggested he be named “Kiwi.” He is particularly prone to freezing motionless and letting people walk right by.

Some red crossbills flying around. One flyover of six evening grosbeaks. Pine siskins are starting to move around more.

Canada jays were noisy and easy.

Yellow-rumps and juncos everywhere. White-throated sparrows numerous, and a few white-crowned immatures present.

Two quick glimpses suggested an orange-crowned warbler on Esker Trail and a lark sparrow at the Lunksoos boat launch.

Foliage was blah. Not only a drought-induced early peak this year, but many maples went promptly from green to yellow, skipping red altogether.

Bob Duchesne