Common Eider or Something different? (pic)

Chris Gagnon

Jun 24, 2024, 7:12:06 PM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to Maine birds
Hello All,

I have a pic of a group of eider and something looks a bit off with one of the birds.  Pic taken at Pemaquid Point by a friend.

Interested to see what others think about this bird.  Something other than an eider or just a weird camera angle?

-chris gagnon
Hooksett, NH

Ian Lynch

Jun 24, 2024, 8:41:47 PM (6 days ago) Jun 24
to Chris Gagnon, Maine birds
The facial pattern gives the impression of a Canada Goose, but the size would be wrong unless, maybe it is a Cackling Goose? But the way it is sitting in the water seems more grebe than goose, and the size would come closer to matching. There have been reports of Red-necked Grebe in the midcoast, so I wonder. Of course it could just be shadows and angles playing with us as well.

Peace שָׁלוֹם سلام

Ian
he/him/his

Boots.

Jun 25, 2024, 8:46:02 AM (5 days ago) Jun 25
to Ian Lynch, Chris Gagnon, Maine birds
Hi, all,
I spent some time looking at the photo and I don't think it is a profile view revealing a facial pattern. I think the bird has its head turned so that its bill and facial pattern aren't visible, similar to the bird on the far left. If you look carefully at the flank/side markings on several of the birds, they are very like what appears to be the bird in question's "face & bill". I believe we are seeing the back (or possibly front on) of the head of one bird and the side of the bird behind it. Shadows, slight blur, grainy image, reflections on the water and waves all serve to make it confusing.

Happy birding!
~Boots.

Ian Lynch

Jun 26, 2024, 11:32:54 AM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to Boots., Chris Gagnon, Maine birds
Yes, I can picture the mystery bird preening their left side, giving us a back of the head look. If so, then the question would be why the Eider in the back has that white mark on its flank. The other question is where is the tail of the mystery bird, which might simply be that it is being held down instead of up. The more I look at the shape and the size of the neck, the less I think it could be any sort of grebe.

Peace שָׁלוֹם سلام

Ian
he/him/his