Sage Thrasher at Gilsland Farm Today

Kathryn Davis

Dec 26, 2022, 2:55:34 PM12/26/22
to Maine birds
Saw the Sage Thrasher at Gilsland Farm today about noon-time.  Had to wait about an hour for it to appear.   There were about 15+ people there who saw it at that time.

To answer the question about where it is being seen at Gilsland.  From the parking lot (opposite side of the lot from the Nature Store), there is a walking path.   Follow the path through the woods to an open field.  The trail splits.  Take the trail to the left and go up over a grassy hill.  Follow the trail bearing left into the woods.  The trail will be going downhill and when you get to the bottom, there is a small cut to the left out into a marshy area.  You will probably see other birders standing in the marshy area, looking towards the trees/brush.

When I saw the Thrasher, it was behind a white tree (has a round hole about two feet off the ground), walking parallel to the tree line towards a pole with a yellow flag attached to it.

Hope this is helpful.  It is kind of hard to describe the path and its turns.   Watch for other birders coming back or heading down the path.  I had to ask a few people to make sure I was headed in the right direction.