Tail feather

David Gulick

Aug 10, 2020, 2:52:42 PM8/10/20
to Maine Birds
I found this one. Only 6.5” long. I was thinking Broad Wing. Have not researched at all. The 8-10” feather also might be an accipiter.

IMG_5508.JPG

Sandi

Aug 10, 2020, 4:11:46 PM8/10/20
to Maine birds
That looks almost exactly like the feather I found, except that the end bands look darker (maybe wet...?) while the bands on mine were all a uniform gray-brown.  I was counting the length of the shaft in my size estimate, so it could be the same species.  The feather pictures on the Feather Atlas website for broad-winged hawk aren't as good a match as yours, though.  -And yes, my original idea was Cooper's or sharp-shinned hawk...but those pictures don't match perfectly either! The mystery continues!