Southern York County CBC

Monica Grabin

Jan 11, 2024, 12:14:46 PMJan 11
to Maine birds
This was the 51st year of the Southern York County CBC, and we had a new high, with 101 species, plus 3 count week species.  The previous high was 97 in 2012. The count was originally scheduled for Monday, December 19th, but due to the storm, which probably accounted for some high counts of sea birds, the count was held on Tuesday, the 20th. Still, all six sections had decent coverage.

We had 11 species with new high counts, some dramatically so, as well as 2 new species:  1 Fish Crow and the continuing Spotted Towhee. There were  250 Gannets (previous high 159 in 2009), and 1408 Black Scoters (previous high 980). 14 Dovekies showed up, just 2 less than our previous high. We also had an explosion of wrens: 10 Winter Wrens (previous high 3), 46 Carolina Wrens (previous high 28), and our 1 House Wren is the first seen since 1996. Blackbirds were also plentiful, with 55 Red-winged Blackbirds (previous high 9), 22 Rusty Blackbirds (previous high 5), and 42 Grackles (previous high 16 in 1993).  There were 17 Red Crossbills (previous high 7), 5 Pine Warblers (previous high 3), and 35 Golden-crowned Kinglets tied our previous high from 1998. We also had one new low: 6 Common Goldeneye  (previous low 19).

Thank you to everyone who participated. It was a bit of a crazy year, but you got it done!
Monica Grabin, Compiler