Fox, Chipping & White-throated Sparrows today in Hiram

Sean S

Mar 23, 2024, 3:27:19 PMMar 23
to maine...@googlegroups.com
Likely the same Fox and Chipping Sparrow I reported and photographed on Jan 30 (that list STILL not confirmed by eBird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S160234008 ) are back today, along with 4 White-throateds.  A ton of bird activity in the cleared area under the feeder.

Sean Smith

AMF

Mar 23, 2024, 6:55:29 PMMar 23
to maine...@googlegroups.com
I think ebird is either very conservative or only pays attention to the elite birders.  The Merlin ID search will not even allow birds like Northern Mockingbird, White Throated or Junco to come up as an option for the last few weeks.  Correction: That changed today.  I had a White Throated Sparrow a few weeks ago.  I have at least one Slate Colored Junco or Black Eyed Junco or what ever they call it today.  It has been here for the last 3 days.  The robins arrived in mass Thursday.  I wonder what they are feeding on with no worms available.  We have at least 8 inches of snow.  It sounds like freezing rain now with temp 25F.  Three feeders have been busy all day.

Allan

On 3/23/2024 3:27 PM, Sean S wrote:
Likely the same Fox and Chipping Sparrow I reported and photographed on Jan 30 (that list STILL not confirmed by eBird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S160234008 ) are back today, along with 4 White-throateds.  A ton of bird activity in the cleared area under the feeder.

Sean Smith

chr...@myfairpoint.net

Mar 23, 2024, 7:11:40 PMMar 23
to maine...@googlegroups.com
That's weird.  There have been more White-throated Sparrows around this past winter than I've ever seen before.  We had Juncos in our yard all winter, and Mockingbirds are around all year in small numbers.  The Xmas count "authorities" used to question our Savannah Sparrows.  But they're at the Flood Bros. Farm every winter.  This past winter there were more than usual.  I counted at least 20 at one point.

When it  doubt, send them a picture.

Wally S.

AMF

Mar 25, 2024, 11:03:20 AMMar 25
to chr...@myfairpoint.net, maine...@googlegroups.com

Wally,

Thank you.  I would like to use a photo for confirmation with Merlin.  It is hard to get a high quality photo on my iPhone.  Most often I just cannot get close enough for a high quality photo.  It is difficult and time consuming to transfer an excellent photo from my Nikon camera to ebird.  I have gotten the bird ID with sound ID on Merlin on my iPhone, but that does not seem to be good enough to have the sighting logged into ebird/Merlin.  Maybe there is no good reason to post to ebird except ego.  I know what I saw.  I will post to maine-birds when I see something that seems a marker of season change or unusual.  ebird will just miss important info from the average person.

Thank you again.

Allan

AMF

Mar 26, 2024, 1:03:10 PMMar 26
to chr...@myfairpoint.net, maine...@googlegroups.com
I put out two pealed apples on the top of the shepherd's hooks that I hang three bird feeders.  I had the pleasure of seeing a Mockingbird pecking away at one apple.  I was close enough to take a good photo with my iPhone and searched Merlin.  I was pleased that it properly ID'ed the bird as a Mockingbird.

I have seen a few Robins hopping on the snow looking pretty sad.  I do not know what to feed Robins.  We have at least 3 to 5 inches snow covering the fields around here.  Hopefully they can find enough berries and apples on trees to feed on.

Allan