Rough-legged Hawk--Scarborough

Joanne Stevens

Apr 23, 2021, 6:57:36 AM4/23/21
to maine...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday morning there was a dark phase Rough-legged Hawk perched along
the edge of the turnpike, seen from the Holmes Rd. overpass.  I turned
around, parked, walked to the bridge and was able to see it drop down to
the ground briefly, then it braved the winds, soared low a few times and
moved to the east toward Scarborough Downs.  I checked there but didn't
see it again, just a Kestrel.  This may be the same RLHA I saw two weeks
ago perched along the small landfill next to Beech Ridge Speedway, a
short distance away.

Although yesterday was spent driving around doing errands I was able to
see the RLHA, two Ospreys, two Kestrel and one Cooper's at various
locations and 5 Glossy Ibis at the Jetport, despite those very strong winds.

Joanne Stevens