Possible Gray Cheeked Thrush Hinckley Park

Noah Gibb

May 27, 2020, 9:58:02 AM5/27/20
to Maine Birds
On the way out of Hinckley Park in South Portland this morning, I had a brief but close look at a possible Gray Cheeked Thrush. I had close enough views to determine size and the bird was not a small thrush like Bicknells, but these birds are tricky.
I had the bird at about 8:30 in bushes between the power station and the trash can in the trail closest to the power station from the parking lot, but eventually lost the bird and I had to get to work.
Hopefully someone can get some eyes on it or photos.

Bird haahd,
NoahGibb-Freeport

Don Thompson

May 27, 2020, 4:45:10 PM5/27/20
to Maine birds

GCTH-3.JPG

GCTH-2.JPG

GCTH.JPG

GCTH-4.JPG

I visited the area from 3:00 t0 4:00 and saw a thrush in the area between the two entrance paths. Photos in shade for what they are worth. I put Gray -cheeked in ebird. Let me know if it is not GCTH

Noah Gibb

May 27, 2020, 9:31:09 PM5/27/20
to Maine Birds
Thanks for the great photos Don! Unfortunately they are of a Swainson's Thrush. Although it is hard to see the buff coloration (probably due to lighting but could be species variance), the "spectacles" are quite pronounced on this bird. The lores and area around eye are quite pale which would be enough to call this bird a Swainson's. This was not the bird I saw.

I finally got a chance to view the one "photo" I got of my bird and as I feared, the photo is pretty much black. Even when brightening the photo to the max, I can get nothing from it.

My bird barely had an eye ring if even a full one, had no tones of red anywhere, and only had a slightly pale loral area that I perceived as grayish. Seeing the bird originally from less than 10 feet, the size seemed more on the over 7 inches side of things. The bird was in shadows of course and I was hoping for slightly better lighting and just a little more time of observation, but this was not the case.

 Unfortunately this is a repeat performance of my few potential experiences with GCTH; eliminate all catharus sp. except Gray Cheeked/Bicknell's, only to see it fly deeper into cover so I don't get a photo and have to go to work. Oh well, this is not the first time and probably not the last time I will run into an unidentified thrush. Thanks to all who sent me info on their observations!

Bird haahd,
Noah Gibb-Freeport