Moving to North Carolina, Thanks for the Memories

mresc...@aol.com

Aug 26, 2019, 6:58:16 AM8/26/19
to maine...@googlegroups.com
After 26 years in New England I’m retiring to the mountains of western North Carolina.  I’ve had a great time birding throughout the region, and greatly appreciate all the help provided by Maine birders.  Some of my fondest memories in Maine include –

Numerous trips to Biddeford – with migrant passerines and Kentucky Warbler (9/9/13) in the woods, Caspian Tern (7/26/17) and Royal Terns (7/11/14) on Hills Beach, Oystercatchers (7/17/04) in the Pool, Surfbird (3/22/15) in the rocks, and Pacific Loon (11/22/14) offshore.

Scarborough Marsh with rarities like European Golden-Plover (10/11/08), Little Egret (6/29/11), and Black-necked Stilt (6/22/13), not to mention great studies of the marsh sparrows – Seaside, Saltmarsh, and Nelson’s

Goose flocks in Yarmouth including Cackling, White-fronted and Barnacle (all on 10/7/08), and Pink-footed (10/20/09).

Western Grebe in Brunswick more than a mile away (4/23/16)

And lastly I’ll always fondly remember the Great Black Hawk in Biddeford on 8/9/18 - #343 for my state list (along with Neotropic Cormorant and Wood Stork in NH later that same day)

Now I’m looking forward to learning more about the birds of the mountains of NC and beyond.  After all, just like New England, there are a lot of states nearby - SC and TN are just short drives away.  One species I’m especially looking forward to learning about is the Swainson’s Warbler that breeds in the mountainous rhododendron thickets – I’ve never seen them in that habitat.

Also now that I’m retired from my 9-to-5 job, I’m starting a bird guiding company - 50 States Birding.   I’m putting my knowledge of birding in all 50 states to use in providing two guiding options:

1.  Traditional guiding services where I accompany birders in the field to help find target species or in general bird an area that is new to them.

2.  A unique research-based service where I provide birders with customized information to help them bird an area on their own.  In this lower-cost option I use on-line research supplemented with my own personal knowledge of the area to identify birding sites that best meet the client’s objectives.  Then for each site I provide a downloadable PDF including maps, lists of expected species, tips to find key species, and general suggestions on how to bird each site.
(sorry for the commercial)

If your travels take you to the mountains of western NC, or places nearby, send me an e-mail – perhaps we could bird together (Swainson’s Warbler anyone?)  Plus I can catch up on all those rarities I’ve missed back in New England.

Mike Resch
Hendersonville, NC