MACHIAS SEAL ISLAND REPORT

RALPH ELDRIDGE

Apr 22, 2022, 7:40:07 AM4/22/22
to Maine birds
The first significant number of SAVANNAH SPARROWS arrived overnight, as well as a couple of male and at least one female EASTERN TOWHEE.

Numerous PALM WARBLERS appeared yesterday(Thursday).

LEACH'S STORM PETRELS are settling into their nest burrows, with the first arriving about a week ago.

The PUFFIN population appears to be up to expected level in the main colonies but numbers are still notably low through the NW, N & NE areas of the island.

First lawn mowing yesterday, in spite of sodden ground.
Pulled a few early weeds from our garden plot but I sank to my ankles just standing still. Might be a bit too wet for tilling this week.