2012 Nissan Leaf onboard charger repair

Jensen Adams

Oct 28, 2022, 2:53:35 PM10/28/22
to Mid-America Electric Automobile Association
Any recommendations on where to seek a repair for a 2012 Nissan Leaf?  Charging stopped mid-session using a J17 on a Type 2.  The car runs normally on the charge, but now won't recognize a J17.  I haven't checked if it'll charge via Chademo on a different route to the battery.  Based on a little reading my suspicion is some trouble in the onboard charger.  What shops are comfortable with the high voltage and charger side of Leaf repair?  Thanks!

Jensen Adams

Oct 28, 2022, 2:56:16 PM10/28/22
to Mid-America Electric Automobile Association
I'm in Kansas City.

bill roush

Oct 28, 2022, 3:01:01 PM10/28/22
to Jensen Adams, Mid-America Electric Automobile Association
Have you tried Greentec Auto?

On Fri, Oct 28, 2022, 1:53 PM Jensen Adams <Jense...@kclibrary.org> wrote:
Any recommendations on where to seek a repair for a 2012 Nissan Leaf?  Charging stopped mid-session using a J17 on a Type 2.  The car runs normally on the charge, but now won't recognize a J17.  I haven't checked if it'll charge via Chademo on a different route to the battery.  Based on a little reading my suspicion is some trouble in the onboard charger.  What shops are comfortable with the high voltage and charger side of Leaf repair?  Thanks!

Leanne Wiedemann

Oct 29, 2022, 12:20:13 PM10/29/22
to bill roush, Jensen Adams, Mid-America Electric Automobile Association
I have a friend with a red 2018 Nov Model 3 with 74,000 with FSD and homelink getting ready to sell as getting a Y

Jonathan Dawson

Oct 29, 2022, 1:07:03 PM10/29/22
to Leanne Wiedemann, bill roush, Jensen Adams, Mid-America Electric Automobile Association
How much are they selling it for?

What's the range?

Jensen Adams

Oct 31, 2022, 12:35:32 PM10/31/22
to bill roush, Mid-America Electric Automobile Association

Bill, good to see you on this list!  It seems like the only EV component repair in KC may occur at the dealerships.  I did call Greentec Auto in KCK.  They only do battery replacement, not EV component repair.  The operator thought the onboard charging system is part of the replacement but didn’t sound confident.  In any case, they are presently out of supplies for the early Leaf models.

Jensen Adams

Dec 19, 2022, 10:51:54 AM12/19/22
to bill roush, Mid-America Electric Automobile Association

By way of an update (and since I saw recent posts about dealers committing to sales and service in EV, which I applaud), I wanted to share that I wasn’t able to find an EV shop that does sub-system component repair on the Nissan onboard charging system.  Turns out, dealer service will only do full-part replacement, although it is likely that the fix is one failed diode that is known to be an issue among early Leaf models.  Our Leaf has been at the dealer since the 1st week of November awaiting the parts to replace the onboard charging system.  I share this because it feels like two segments are missing in the EV market.  Shops that specialize in EV repair and are willing to repair parts – a capability that is more specialized than replacing entire systems: battery, charging, etc.   And, I wonder about the burgeoning aftermarket for EV systems other than batteries.  The onboard charging system on my Leaf, for example, could be sold by the dealer to a shop that reconditions and tests a system for resale.  I’m sure these chains and certification protocol exist for the ICE market.  You can tell that my interest is a robust used EV future.

Karl Bloss

Dec 19, 2022, 10:58:13 AM12/19/22
to Jensen Adams, bill roush, Mid-America Electric Automobile Association, Clyde schwanke
Yes, this is unfortunate that we are back to module replacement for likely simple fixes.  I wonder if Rich Benoit's (aka "Rich Rebuilds") Electrified Garage can handle this kind of repair.

BTW, I believe Clyde Schwanke is having the same issue with the 2012 LEAF he bought from us years ago.

-Karl

PS: Our 2015 Tesla is now at 118K miles and on a 4K trip from Michigan to Arizona and back.  We passed through Kansas City yesterday so virtual greetings from the road.  Picture from Oklahoma.

Screenshot_20221219-015325-870.png
IMG_20221219_083413397_HDR.jpg

bill roush

Dec 19, 2022, 12:52:38 PM12/19/22
to Karl Bloss, Jensen Adams, Mid-America Electric Automobile Association, Clyde schwanke
Maybe I missed something, but did you check with https://www.greentecauto.com/locations/kansas-city

Jensen Adams

Dec 19, 2022, 12:58:48 PM12/19/22
to bill roush, Karl Bloss, Mid-America Electric Automobile Association, Clyde schwanke

Yes, Greentecauto only does battery replacement but won’t do onboard charging system replacement.  I double checked.  I do appreciate their albeit limited business model.

Clyde schwanke

Dec 19, 2022, 4:22:06 PM12/19/22
to Jensen Adams, bill roush, Karl Bloss, Mid-America Electric Automobile Association
Clyde - in Topeka, it looks like we are in competition waiting for onboard chargers for 2012 Leafs.  Our charger quit the first of November and the only estimate of availability anyone has ventured to guess is the end of January.  Nissan does not inventory them, they are ordered from the manufacturer on an as needed basis.  It appears a failed diode on one of the boards is the likely failure.
Fortunately a CHAdeMO charger was recently installed a mile from me so I picked ours up last week and it had just enough range to make it to the charger.  First time I had used a public charger as we have a solar array in our backyard.  So we are back in business with a Leaf backup vehicle for our Ford C-Max pluggable.