Mac - PC & HP printer configuration issue

jlla...@verizon.net

Sep 26, 2021, 2:37:25 PM9/26/21
to mach...@googlegroups.com

===============================

Basic configuration:

MacOS 10.13.6  (I can't upgrade with this iMac hardware).
PC Windows 10
HP printer: HP Laserjet 1606 dn
TP-Link router / wifi

PC and printer are in one part of the house; Mac and router are in a different part of the house.
The printer is connected to the PC via USB (too far for ethernet cable without climbing into the attic)
The PC uses WiFi to connect to the router
The Mac is hardwired to the router

PC is configured for print sharing
Mac - printer was added under printers & scanners preferences, using Windows / workgroup / PC name / printer share name
share this printer on the network is checked

Symptoms:
I used to be able to print.  I had the pritner name as my default printer.  I would enter a User name and Password.  Even though a message would pop up in the printer window: "Printing - Couldn't open fifo (2)", the printed document would come out just fine.
Then one day it didn't.  I can't think of a change in the configuration that could be the culprit.

Now the printer is "Paused" and the "Ready to Print" is displayed.  The document is waiting in the job queue (Mac Window).  nothing appears in the printer queue on the PC.  If I click "Resume", the message "Printing - Couldn't open fifo (2)" is displayed briefly and then it reverts to "Ready to Print" with the document still in the job queue.

The printer works just fine from the PC.  I can access files on the PC from the Mac.  TeamViewer between PC and Mac works fine.

Any ideas on how to get the printer connection to work without installing a new router in the PC/printer room.?

Allison Sheridan

Sep 26, 2021, 3:05:28 PM9/26/21
to jlla...@verizon.net, mach...@googlegroups.com
Good job describing all of the specifics. The only thing I can think of is to try to reinstall the drivers:

Allison

On Sep 26, 2021, at 11:37 AM, jllatimer via MacHACers Allison <mach...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com

Bradford Miller

Sep 26, 2021, 4:23:13 PM9/26/21
to mach...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes it works to tell printer&scanner preferences to forget the printer and then re-add it. That’s what I do with my Brother printer when it becomes incommunicado…

Mario Obejas

Sep 27, 2021, 7:01:25 PM9/27/21
to mach...@googlegroups.com
Jill, given that:
A. The PC and printer are in the same room and
B. The PC has an acceptable WiFi signal

Solution:
Reconfigure the printer to also use WiFi, same network as your other wireless devices.
Then reconnect to that printer directly, instead of going through your PC Printer Sharing.

That way you don't need the odd USB connection that requires
a. your PC to always be powered on for others to use the printer, and
b. added level of complexity in the mix due to Printer Sharing on the Windows PC

On a different note:
WRT: "The printer is connected to the PC via USB (too far for ethernet cable without climbing into the attic)"

You can also bring Ethernet into that room without having to resort to new wiring - use a Powerline adapter that leverages your home's existing wiring. It won't work with a GFCI circuit or a surge protector, but it's an option for a wired experience. YMMV, and you probably won't get Gigabit speeds, but it's an option.
https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender-TP-Link/dp/B084CZMYNM/ref=psdc_1194444_t1_B01LXOZ4EN

Allison Sheridan

Sep 28, 2021, 9:35:30 AM9/28/21
to unix...@yahoo.com, mach...@googlegroups.com
Mario - I looked the printer up because that was my first thought, but this printer doesn’t have a WiFi radio from what I read.

Allison Sheridan
Podfeet Podcasts at https://podfeet.com
Technology geek podcasts with an EVER so slight Apple bias!
Follow me at @podfeet

jlla...@verizon.net

Sep 29, 2021, 12:11:41 AM9/29/21
to mach...@googlegroups.com

Allison,

I downloaded and installed the driver pkg.

What are the next steps?  Remove the printer from the "Printers and Scanners" list and add back in?  Restart the computer?

I assume driver HP LaserJet Profession P1600dn, 6.9 is close enough to P1606dn.

thanks,
Jim

Allison Sheridan

Sep 29, 2021, 9:37:50 AM9/29/21
to jlla...@verizon.net, mach...@googlegroups.com
I’m not an expert here on this topic but removing it and putting it back in seems like the reasonable thing to do.

On Sep 28, 2021, at 9:11 PM, jllatimer via MacHACers <mach...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com

MIKE SHULMAN

Sep 29, 2021, 12:35:52 PM9/29/21
to mach...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

I think it was suggested to “Reset Printing System” instead of just removing and re-adding the printer. This resetting step can help with some printing problems.

Apple has a page on how to do it here:

Mike

On Sep 28, 2021, at 9:11 PM, jllatimer via MacHACers <mach...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com

jlla...@verizon.net

Jan 23, 2022, 7:49:38 PM1/23/22
to mach...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Thanks for the prior suggestions.

I still haven't been able to print.  In fact now I can't print to any of my three printers.

1) “Reset Printing System” didn't resolve my HP LaserJet Profession P1600dn issue (printer has no IP, but is USB hardwired to PC;  trying to print from Mac; printing from PC works fine).  The print queue shows "Ready to Print".  I click "Resume".  It says "Printing" for a second and then reverts to "Ready to Print", but the document is still in the queue.  Sometimes it say "Printing -    Couldn't open fifo (2)" instead of "Printing".  Sometimes it says "Connecting to Printer".  I'm wondering whether the issue is on the PC end.

2) The black ink on my HP Photosmart Premium C310 HP printer started to streak and fade.  I replaced the black cartridge on the printer twice, and the display says the ink is full, but the sheets of paper come out blank (the other colors print fine).  I cleaned the cartridge holder, both using software and Q-tips.  I tried a few drops of 90% rubbing alcohol.  The ink cartridge definitely has ink.

3) I have an old HP LaserJet  6MP connected via AsantePrint that don't seem to work with OS 10.13.6  I'm not sure whether this is an incompatibility with the latest OS or the Asante has failed.  Test pages still work (and are beautiful).  Is there some other adapter I can use to give this printer an IP address?

Any suggestions?