Connecting to a local Mac

Dennis Kane

Mar 20, 2023, 9:19:37 PM3/20/23
to MacHACers
Hello MacHACers,

Anyone know why I have to occasionally reboot my mac acting as a client that is trying to access a local mac server? When I run screen sharing, I know that I can talk to and control the server, but sometimes when I try to access the server’s files through file sharing I get “connection failed.” Rebooting the client fixes the problem for a few days. My guess is that I need to set up fixed network addressing rather than DHCP for both the client and server, but maybe someone here knows better.

Dennis Kane

MIKE SHULMAN

Mar 21, 2023, 1:17:44 AM3/21/23
to MacHACers
Dennis,

Are these devices (clients and server) on the same LAN segment in your home?

Does your router support “address reservation” or similar feature that will retain a specific IP address for devices on your LAN? Usually this feature uses the device’s MAC address to reserve an IP.
If your router doesn’t have this feature, you can usually set the server and client(s) to “static" IPs that are outside of the DHCP range settings in your router.

What is the model of the router you are using?

Are you connecting via AFP, SMB and using IP address or DNS name?

Mike

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com

Dennis Kane

Mar 23, 2023, 12:08:43 PM3/23/23
to MacHACers
Hi Mike,

Good to hear from you. I am using a pair of Deco TP-Link routers, the main one wired to  my Frontier router. I guess that the server might be hopping around and I could fix that with the help of this page.

I am connecting via Apple file sharing. Even when I connect as a registered user, the only documents that I can see are in a public folder. I can see the other folders, but not the files in them.

It sounds like I have two issues.

1) The IP address of my server may be jumping around from day-to-day which is why I occasionally have to reboot the client.
2) The permissions on the server may be foobarred allowing only the public folder’s files to be accessible.

Dennis

Allison Sheridan

Mar 23, 2023, 12:44:20 PM3/23/23
to kanep...@gmail.com, MacHACers
Exactly what do you mean by “Apple File Sharing”, Dennis?  Do you mean using the Finder menu Go → Connect to Server? Or maybe clicking on the other Mac in the sidebar under Locations? Or something else?

 Allison

On Mar 23, 2023, at 9:09 AM, Dennis Kane <kanep...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,
--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com

DENNIS KANE

Mar 24, 2023, 2:08:48 AM3/24/23
to MacHACers
Hi Allison,

On the server, I have turned on file sharing. On the client I use go to server.

--Dennis, Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 23, 2023, at 9:44 AM, Allison Sheridan <all...@podfeet.com> wrote:

Exactly what do you mean by “Apple File Sharing”, Dennis?  Do you mean using the Finder menu Go → Connect to Server? Or maybe clicking on the other Mac in the sidebar under Locations? Or something else?

Mario Obejas

Mar 25, 2023, 12:10:04 PM3/25/23
to MacHACers
Simpler is generally better.

Dennis:
You might consider taking the Frontier router out of the equation altogether, unless there is a very specific reason you have two routers connected. Otherwise you have two routers doing NAT and at the very least generating a gate delay.

Frontier does not require you to use their router. If you are doing DHCP address reservation on the TP-Link, then you already have it doing router duty in lieu of the Frontier router. I've been on Frontier for 16 of the last 17 years. I've only used their router one day, to help them verify that my line needed an onsite upgrade for higher speed (i.e., it was just an ONT upgrade to get the 500/500 speed, but I didn't want my router to generate any excuses).

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com

Allison Sheridan

Mar 28, 2023, 3:58:10 PM3/28/23
to Allison Sheridan, kanep...@gmail.com, MacHACers
Hey Dennis -

You might want to install the latest version of Ventura that came out yesterday. Steve Davidson in the Slack group for my podcast posted this. I don’t know if it’s related, but it sure seems worth a shot.

macOS 13.3 unexpectedly fixed a problem that has been vexing me for a month.  I have a 2018 Mac mini that also serves as the household Time Machine server (after my venerable AirPort Extreme went wonky — see “I’m Still Using It” — I jinxed myself!).  Around a month ago, the Mac mini’s File Sharing inexplicably stopped working, stopping Time Machine backups.  None of my machines could mount any of the shared volumes attached to that Mac. I tried all the normal things (turning File Sharing off then on, reboots, changed out the attached drives, tried editing various .plist files, manually changed settings — tried every knob I could turn), and got nowhere.  Last week, I gave up trying to fix it myself, and decided I would have to bite the bullet and contact Apple Support. This morning I turned off File Sharing and installed macOS 13.3.  After the machine came up, I discovered (quite by surprise, since I hadn’t turned File Sharing back on yet) that my MBP was busy backing up via Time Machine — ditto for my wife’s iMac — to that Mac mini.  So just the act of installing the OS update un-stuck what has been stuck for a month.  I have no idea why (unless macOS 13.2.1 introduced a bug that they quietly fixed this time around).  A happy mystery to have, I guess.

Allison

On Mar 23, 2023, at 9:43 AM, Allison Sheridan <all...@podfeet.com> wrote:

Exactly what do you mean by “Apple File Sharing”, Dennis?  Do you mean using the Finder menu Go → Connect to Server? Or maybe clicking on the other Mac in the sidebar under Locations? Or something else?

Dennis Kane

Mar 29, 2023, 10:17:36 PM3/29/23
to all...@podfeet.com, kanep...@gmail.com, MacHACers
Interesting. I think I’m running Catalina and I’m not sure if my Mac mini is new enough to install Ventura.

--Dennis, Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 28, 2023, at 12:58 PM, Allison Sheridan <all...@podfeet.com> wrote:

Hey Dennis -

Mario Obejas