Monterey question

Carl Cullings

Nov 5, 2021, 9:24:50 PM11/5/21
to 'Allison Sheridan' via MacHACers
Apparently one cannot update a 2014 iMac 5K 27” desktop with Montery, but supposedly one can update a 2014 Mac mini.

This doesn’t make sense to me.  What gives?

Bradford Miller

Nov 5, 2021, 9:48:04 PM11/5/21
to cull...@gmail.com, 'Allison Sheridan' via MacHACers
I can think of two possibilities:

1) the video card for the mac mini (Intel HD Graphics 5000 (1.4GHz) or Iris 5100 (2.6 and 2.8GHz)
   vs. the iMac’s Radeon R9 M290X or M295X

2) the mini is considered “supported” (sold through October 2018) while the iMac is “vintage” (sold through October 2015).

I suspect the latter is the main reason. They won’t divert engineering to unsupported Macs.

(Data from Mactracker)

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com

Allison Sheridan

Nov 6, 2021, 9:52:49 AM11/6/21
to gor...@mac.com, cull...@gmail.com, 'Allison Sheridan' via MacHACers
The 2014 iMac came out in June, the 2014 Mac mini came out in October so it’s actually newer and must have something more modern in it. If you’re ever curious about this sort of thing, I highly recommend the app Mactracker, free for Mac and iOS.  It lets you look up any Mac and see in a nice format when it came out and everything about it.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mactracker/id311421597

If you’re really curious about these two models and why the older one can’t run Monterey, you could bring up both models (in the Mac version) and compare them side-by-side to look for differences.

 Allison

On Nov 5, 2021, at 6:48 PM, 'Bradford Miller' via MacHACers <mach...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I can think of two possibilities:

Felino Bautista

Nov 6, 2021, 12:44:31 PM11/6/21
to ashe...@mac.com, gor...@mac.com, cull...@gmail.com, 'Allison Sheridan' via MacHACers
That app is pretty neat! Thanks

Fel Bautista
Fat fingered from my iPhone

On Nov 6, 2021, at 6:52 AM, 'Allison Sheridan' via MacHACers <mach...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

The 2014 iMac came out in June, the 2014 Mac mini came out in October so it’s actually newer and must have something more modern in it. If you’re ever curious about this sort of thing, I highly recommend the app Mactracker, free for Mac and iOS.  It lets you look up any Mac and see in a nice format when it came out and everything about it.

Allison Sheridan

Nov 6, 2021, 12:46:58 PM11/6/21
to btistah...@gmail.com, gor...@mac.com, cull...@gmail.com, 'Allison Sheridan' via MacHACers
Glad you like it.  Every year or two I throw the dev $20 because I use it all the time and they never ask for money. Takes a little while to get updated with new devices but it gets there eventually.

Allison

On Nov 6, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Felino Bautista <btistah...@gmail.com> wrote:

That app is pretty neat! Thanks

Gregg Hlavacek

Nov 6, 2021, 1:11:04 PM11/6/21
to ashe...@mac.com, btistah...@gmail.com, gor...@mac.com, cull...@gmail.com, 'Allison Sheridan' via MacHACers
I miss the chimes tho. Are they still available anywhere?

Gregg

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 6, 2021, at 9:46 AM, 'Allison Sheridan' via MacHACers <mach...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Glad you like it.  Every year or two I throw the dev $20 because I use it all the time and they never ask for money. Takes a little while to get updated with new devices but it gets there eventually.

Mario Obejas

Nov 7, 2021, 3:57:15 PM11/7/21
to gor...@mac.com, ashe...@mac.com, cull...@gmail.com, 'Allison Sheridan' via MacHACers
Another alternative for comparing every mac, which doesn't require an app,  is everymac.com

It does want you to be specific (e.g., there are two possible 2014 5K iMacs, and four possible 2014 Mini models)

ricksss96

Nov 7, 2021, 4:41:53 PM11/7/21
to MacHACers
If you are comfortable using a terminal command, look at this post on MacSales:
Apparently it works sometimes and sometimes not, depending on what Apple has done to your version of MacOS

-Rick