Mac recovery

Dennis Kane

Apr 1, 2022, 2:17:15 PM4/1/22
to MacHACers

Helping a buddy whose fairly new MacBook booted up in recovery mode. He doesn’t really know anything about computers. He thinks he may have a Time Machine back up but he doesn’t know what that would entail or even if he has an External somewhere in his house.

Anyway, what I would typically do back in the day is first boot it up in FireWire mode or whatever it was called to extract all the data I could before I started the repair. Now we’re in the 21st-century and things have improved so I’m thinking maybe I could just tell the laptop to do a self recovery and It will do it in a way that leaves the data intact. Anyone have A good grasp of a modern day approach that is highly unlikely to corrupt his data?

--Dennis, Sent from my iPhone

Dennis Kane

Apr 1, 2022, 3:42:10 PM4/1/22
to MacHACers
You may be right. By the way I’ve never seen this before but there’s Icon in the upper right corner of the screen that has a ABC plus a little keyboard next to it. Is this normal or is it related?

--Dennis, Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Tobin <michae...@gmail.com>
Date: April 1, 2022 at 12:40:15 PM PDT
To: Dennis Kane <denni...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MacHACers] Mac recovery

It may be time to visit an Apple Store.

Michael

On Apr 1, 2022 at 12:38:45 PM, Dennis Kane <denni...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well this is fun. I cannot get out of startup manager. The mac keeps rebooting into startup manager. My guess is that the option key is stuck because all I can do this is boot into option manager make the choices  and when I restart it goes back in the option manager.

--Dennis, Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 1, 2022, at 11:23 AM, Michael Tobin <michae...@gmail.com> wrote:

Depends on Apple Silicon vs Intel processor.

Here’s how to do either:

Michael

--
To post an announcement or ask a question, send an email to mach...@googlegroups.com

Dennis Kane

Apr 1, 2022, 8:26:19 PM4/1/22
to MacHACers
Sure enough… the power button was stuck in the pushed position. on the new MacBook Air, holding down the power button when you restart sends you to Startup Manager. One indication of this was that the Mac said “keep holding until you see the option screen” or something like that, the key word being “holding.”

Dennis

On Apr 1, 2022, at 12:51 PM, Dennis Kane <denni...@gmail.com> wrote:

I tried that and also disk utility. I’m SStarting to think the option key is stuck on. If I had an external keyboard when they could plug into USB C I might be able to override it.

--Dennis, Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 1, 2022, at 12:49 PM, Allison Sheridan <ashe...@mac.com> wrote:

If your buddy can see the utilities from recovery mode they could try doing a simple reinstall over the top of macOS.

Allison