Looking for Mentors

stanle...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2021, 1:07:50 AM4/6/21
to LUNAR General
Hello,
Since I'm new to model rocketry in general, and I'm a bit of a strict schedule and need to finish my rocketry project by a set deadline for the Science Fair, I was wondering, would anyone be willing to be my mentor to help launch my rocket? I was hoping to avoid making large errors in designing and construction, as I know that launches aren't too common. I was hoping to work with someone with an HPR license, as I hope to work my up to a G motor before the end of my project.

Anthony Cooper

Apr 6, 2021, 8:19:58 PM4/6/21
to General LUNAR
You have big problems with where you can fly. LUNAR is unlikely to fly before November.

If you want to discuss build issues, this is as good a place as any. Our Facebook page is also a good place. http://www.facebook.com/groups/LUNAR.Rocketry/

If you one one on one visits, you are going to need to supply a home address. Perhaps one of our members live in your city.

--
This list is moderated. Your first port will have to be approved prior to being posted. Feel free to chat about anything your fellow rocketeers would find interesting.

stanle...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2021, 11:29:27 PM4/8/21
to LUNAR General
Alright, thank you for your response. As for launches, I'm currently looking at other options for launches(TCC, SARG, Sierra Rocketry, FAR(if it gets bad), and maybe asking the Livermore park people about launches(I heard on another thread that TARC launches have happened their). Most of my questions are build questions, so I'll probably post here if that is the case.

srkendal

Apr 8, 2021, 11:44:07 PM4/8/21
to lunar-general
Hey Stan,

Don't worry about launches right now, focus on your design and meeting both the project flight goals and any safety concerns of the group.  Do you have a simulation program (Open Rocket, RocSim, etc.)? Can/does it allow you to correctly stimulate the flight characteristics you expect for your project (based on your research)? Can you tell? Some things are tricky or not intuitive to stimulate.  Be prepared to share your files.

And, for those that may have missed your earlier posts, you should repost your links to the project and your research.

Posting to the list gets you access to many of us that aren't physically close, but may have knowledge to share or help/time to offer. LUNAR has members from coast to coast, north to south. Someone will know how to correctly answer your questions.

Steve Kendall

stanle...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2021, 11:56:20 PM4/8/21
to LUNAR General
Thank you for your tips. I've been playing with Openrocket, and according to people who have worked on ducted rockets, they said that OpenRocket should work just okay when simulating a duct. As for links to my current research, I don't have anything formal yet, but I'll try to start documenting it and putting it on the web soon. As for posting on the list, do you mean posting on the email list?

stanle...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2021, 12:01:58 AM4/9/21
to LUNAR General
I was under the impression that the google group is connected to the mailing list, but I may be wrong about that.

srkendal

Apr 9, 2021, 12:02:23 AM4/9/21
to lunar-general
Yes... The LUNAR general list. I thought you sent me something, a link, to some university documents or...I don't know; I'll dig around and see if I can find it. I used to save all my lunar email, but I've been less disciplined of late.

What are your deadlines?

(Oh, and stimulate should have been simulate... I'm on a phone, not a keyboard)

-Steve

stanle...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2021, 12:06:38 AM4/9/21
to LUNAR General
The hard deadline is to have a working ducted rocket for me would be by February, which gives me maybe 1 month to do full analysis and write reports, etc. But ideally given the multiple parts I need to do for a "successful" project, I'm trying to launch as early as possible so I have time to sort through all issues that may come up(safety, building a rocket in the first place, testing flight IMUs, and finally the duct).

Stewart Cobb

Apr 9, 2021, 12:57:50 AM4/9/21
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Your best bet for launches anytime soon is Sierra Rocketry (a 5+ hour drive) or possibly Tripoli Central California (TCC, a 3 hour drive).

I went to the Sierra launch last weekend. The direct route requires driving US Hwy 50 over the mountains, which is a bit sporty. You should check the weather before you leave, and you should plan your trip to avoid crossing the mountains in the dark (evening or dawn). I spent the night in Carson City. From the junction of 50 and 395 on the east side of Carson City, it's about 22.7 miles to the right turn onto Breakaheart Road. They have a great launch site on private land, and there's not much of a line to get your rocket in the air. They seem to launch once a month, pretty reliably. They claim to be planning some multi-day weekend launches, with onsite camping permitted.

Cheers!
--Stu

Aleksandar Milivojević

Apr 9, 2021, 12:59:02 PM4/9/21
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
I'll just add to this, don't commit to a particular route to get to Sierra's launch east of Carson City. There's three routes that'll get you there, via I-80, US-50 and CA-88. With I-80, there's an option to hit I-580 from Reno to Carson City, or to go past Reno and hit NV-439 to US-50 in Sparks.

Type in the address into something that takes into account current road conditions and re-routes dynamically as you drive and conditions change. Such as Google Maps, and follow it whichever route it takes you. It can literally save you several hours of drive time. Accidents on any of the above routes are not uncommon and can result in huge delays.

For winter driving (not applicable currently, but come November/December it'll be very applicable), CA-88 and US-50 can get closed for long periods of time for avalanche control (there's two spots on CA-88 and one on US-50 that are very avalanche prone and Caltrans will keep them closed for days if needed until they are done doing avalanche control and the road is safe). I-80 can get closed for shorter periods of time for snow removal during and after major snowstorms. If there was any snowfall overnight, check Caltrans for road closures and estimated opening times.

Doug Wade

Apr 9, 2021, 2:13:16 PM4/9/21
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. And we will sometimes take different routes out and back.

Sent from my iPhone

William Kellermann

Apr 9, 2021, 2:53:43 PM4/9/21
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
50 closed today at echo summit from rockslide.

William Kellermann

stanle...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2021, 2:23:37 PM4/10/21
to LUNAR General
Alright, thank you, I'll definitely keep this in mind when driving out.