Updating tomcat to latest minor release

Tim Welford

Aug 18, 2016, 12:24:14 PM8/18/16
to Lucee
Hi,

I would like to upgrade tomcat from 8.0.20 (installed with Lucee on windows 2012) to 8.0.36 , as an audit has highlighted that there are some security vulnerabilities in the current version i am using

I realise it's not strictly a Lucee question, but I only use it for Lucee and I am struggling to find information I can make sense of in tomcat docs - hopefully this will be useful for other users.

I have Tomcat and Lucee installed in separate folders, but my server.xml is in the tomcat folders.
Is there a way I can easily do an "in place" update to the latest version (copying across relevant files) etc, or do I have to install a whole new tomcat and change Lucee to use it rather than the current version - which is what I do with Java, but that seems much easier.

I realise the latter option may be the "best" option, but I also am not clever enough to know how to do it :)
Can any of you experts offer any advice please.

Many thanks

Igal @ Lucee.org

Aug 18, 2016, 1:55:44 PM8/18/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Tim,

Upgrading a minor version of Tomcat is generally a smooth operation:

    1) Back up your current Tomcat directory -- just in case

    2) Download and extract the new version to a local directory

    3) Stop Tomcat

    4) Replace the files in /old-tomcat/lib with files from /new-tomcat/lib

    5) Start Tomcat

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

--
Get 10% off of the regular price for this years CFCamp in Munich, Germany (Oct. 20th & 21st) with the Lucee discount code Lucee@cfcamp. 189€ instead of 210€. Visit https://ti.to/cfcamp/cfcamp-2016/discount/Lucee@cfcamp
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/ffed9434-0fd3-4860-bf4e-9f6f466c7f2f%40googlegroups.com.

Tim Welford

Aug 19, 2016, 4:17:05 AM8/19/16
to Lucee
Thanks Igal,

That is very helpful, I will give it a try.