Marketing: CFUGs

Adam Cameron

Feb 2, 2015, 3:50:55 PM2/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
G'day:
I just saw someone mention a CFUG meeting on Twitter.

Should some representation from Lucee be trying to contact CFUGs to do a presentation to them?

What is the programme for getting the word out there?

--
Adam

Kai Koenig

Feb 2, 2015, 4:47:04 PM2/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
There’s a public list of CFUG on:

Note: as usual and expected it doesn’t seem to be quite well maintained, quite a few of the entries are dead (e.g. 404ing).

Essentially Lucee needs kind of a community outreach program to coordinate people giving sessions to the UGs. Happy to offer that to some of the AU- and NZ-based UGs where I regularly travel to anyway or so.

Cheers
Kai

Kai Koenig

Feb 2, 2015, 4:48:03 PM2/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

What is the programme for getting the word out there?

A good start would be if someone from the Lucee foundation would provide a nicely designed and branded presentation template for Powerpoint and Keynote we could use.

Alex? :-)

Cheers
Kai

Sean Corfield

Feb 2, 2015, 7:55:41 PM2/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 2, 2015, at 1:46 PM, Kai Koenig <grmb...@gmail.com> wrote:
There’s a public list of CFUG on:

Note: as usual and expected it doesn’t seem to be quite well maintained, quite a few of the entries are dead (e.g. 404ing).

One thing to bear in mind is that Adobe has not been very receptive to its official CFUGs having talks about "competing" CFML engines so tread carefully. They’ve changed the rules about it several times. At one time it was completely verboten, then they softened to allow community members to present as long as it was not recorded / broadcast via Connect… I’m not sure where things stand these days (it’s been a while since I presented Railo at BACFUG and that was considered a personal favor to me at the time). Also a number of CFUGs have become more-than-CF UGs and the rules there may be different again.

Sean Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
An Architect's View -- http://corfield.org/

dev.Objective() - Developing Apps, Developing Skills, Developing Community
-- May 12-15, 2015 - Bloomington, MN - http://devobjective.com

Kai Koenig

Feb 2, 2015, 8:18:14 PM2/2/15
[...]

Yup, correct. I’m not sure, but my feeling is that people at the Adobe “community” team don’t really even care about CFUGs much these days, they only care about Creative Cloud and all that stuff.

From my experience with the local ones in AU/NZ I can see that they really welcomed talks about Railo in the past.

Cheers
Kai

Nicholas Kwiatkowski

Feb 2, 2015, 10:07:11 PM2/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Since Adobe killed off their developer relations team and barely has their community team (UG / ACPs / etc) doing anything, there really aren't any rules anymore.  I'm pretty sure our local CFUG has had more Railo presentations than ACF presentations.

I couldn't test my luck by using one of the UGM/ACP Connect accounts, but otherwise I doubt the meeting topics are even on their radar anymore.

-Nick

Denard Springle

Feb 3, 2015, 1:21:59 AM2/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, gonna have to concur with Nick. CFUGs aren't even relevant to Adobe anymore. CFML isn't really relevant to anyone at Adobe, except maybe enterprise sales. And most CFUGs have become less CFML oriented and more web development oriented to stay alive, so... I can say NVCFUG would be more than happy to have someone present on Lucee, or give me a hand with some materials and I'd be happy to present Lucee to NVCFUG myself ;)

-- Denny

Carl Von Stetten

Feb 3, 2015, 6:06:26 PM2/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I'd agree with Nick and Denard, but with one wrinkle.  I'm the current BACFUG manager (the second one since Sean stepped down), and we still meet at an Adobe office in one of their large meeting rooms.  So it's still a bit awkward to have Railo (or Lucee now) specific topics, but I'm definitely open to having them if Adobe doesn't care.

-Carl V.

Raymond Camden

Feb 7, 2015, 4:16:57 PM2/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I'd also ditto the earlier replies. I wouldn't worry about discussing an ACF competitor at all.

Michael Offner

Feb 7, 2015, 5:00:05 PM2/7/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
We did once a road trip in the us and visited a lot of cfugs to present Railo, what was really great because you met other people's than you meet at conferences. At one of the cfug events Adam Lehman, head of the coldfusion team at Adobe at that time, was in the audience. But like Sean said, then Adobe changed the rules and this was no longer possible. Since then we never approached cfugs directly anymore.
Put of course we can help out with material to do so, we should publish material like this on our website. we also discussed to do a road trip in the us and in Europe to spread the word, but not at cfug events. Simply events like we did in London for the launch of lucee. I would also love to see lucee conferences in the future and we already in talks with Michi Hnat to do something together with cfcamp.

Micha

Larry C. Lyons

Feb 8, 2015, 11:55:20 AM2/8/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
AS the comanager of the Northern Virginia ColdFusion Users Group we'd welcome a someone doing an in person or remote (via connect etc) doing a preso about Lucee. Feel free to contact Dan Fredericks or me about it http://www.meetup.com/nvcfug/

thx,
larry