Basic Understanding of Lucee

HabaneroPowder

Jul 26, 2016, 10:25:36 AM7/26/16
to Lucee
Hi,

Can someone provide a basic overview of the Lucee architecture? Do Coldfusion applications get deployed to Tomcat or Lucee? I'm confused about "what fits where".

Thanks

Nando Breiter

Jul 26, 2016, 11:43:40 AM7/26/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Someone else might be able to give a more technical answer, but for all practical purposes, apps are deployed to Lucee. Lucee is installed on Tomcat (or another servlet engine). I could be mistaken, but don't believe there is a way to deploy a (precompiled) CFML app directly to Tomcat. The source code files are uploaded to the production server and are compiled on the fly by Lucee.

Aria Media Sagl
+41 (0)76 303 4477 cell
skype: ariamedia

--
Get 10% off of the regular price for this years CFCamp in Munich, Germany (Oct. 20th & 21st) with the Lucee discount code Lucee@cfcamp. 189€ instead of 210€. Visit https://ti.to/cfcamp/cfcamp-2016/discount/Lucee@cfcamp
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/f7d0d9ee-0300-4c7a-a42c-a64f47591466%40googlegroups.com.

Brad Wood

Jul 27, 2016, 10:13:39 AM7/27/16
to Lucee
Nando, you can precompile a Lucee app into a WAR and deploy it "directly" on Tomcat.  Of course, the Lucee runtime is still there, there's just no CFML files.  Nevertheless, here's a good book I found currently being written by someone in the community that talks a bit about how Lucee works as far as web context vs server, etc:

Habenero, if you're familiar with Java and J2EE, Lucee is a servlet that gets deployed to a servlet container of your choice.  It is mapped to routes ending in .cf* and performs JIT compilation on CFML to bytecode where its loaded via a custom URL classloader inside the Lucee runtime that sits atop the J2EE runtime.  Lucee's configuration tells it where your web root are, so simply modifying files there will make them picked up and re-compiled.  As such, you can deploy Lucee anywhere you can run Java including Jelastic, Docker, Raspberry Pi, Win/Linux/Mac, etc.  Even though most servlet containers come with an HTTP(s) listener, most people deploy it behind a web server like IIS/Apache/Ngnix to take care of static assets, SSL termination and caching.  You can proxy requests to your servlet container via HTTP or AJP.

If you have more question, try to be specific.  Lucee (and J2EE in general) has a lot of stuff involved :)

Thanks!

~Brad