Profiling Lucee application

Jonathan Brookins

May 11, 2015, 10:37:22 AM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone suggest some tools to help us find the cause of a slowdown in part of our Lucee application?  What are some common tools for this? I'm guessing there are some Java profiling tools, but we haven't used any in the past.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Gert Franz

May 11, 2015, 10:41:54 AM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
You can try fusion reactor...

Gert

Sent from somewhere on the road

Am 11.05.2015 um 16:37 schrieb Jonathan Brookins <jon.br...@gmail.com>:

Can anyone suggest some tools to help us find the cause of a slowdown in part of our Lucee application?  What are some common tools for this? I'm guessing there are some Java profiling tools, but we haven't used any in the past.  Thanks for the suggestions!

upfron...@gmail.com

May 11, 2015, 11:11:38 AM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried the built-in debugger?  (Just turn it on in the Lucee admin)  It will tell you how long each resource is taking to build a page and how long each query takes, etc.

Jonathan Brookins

May 11, 2015, 11:43:11 AM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I've looked at the debugger in the past, but the problem I had was suppressing it for ajax scripts.  It's probably possible, but I ran out of time to investigate it.  I'll try it again, thanks for the suggestion.

Igal @ Lucee.org

May 11, 2015, 11:45:41 AM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
on pages that are processed by others (including machines a-la ajax etc.) simply add:

    <cfsetting showdebugoutput="#false#">

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Jonathan Brookins

May 11, 2015, 11:49:16 AM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Igal, but I had hoped to find a solution that didn't require finding all of the ajax templates and add a cfsetting to them.  If that is the only way I can do it when I get some time.

Igal @ Lucee.org

May 11, 2015, 11:52:18 AM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
well, if those pages are identifiable in any way then you can simply add it to Application.cfc in onRequestEnd()

something like:

/** Application.cfc */
component {

    function onRequestEnd(target) {

        if ( left(CGI.SCRIPT_NAME, 4) == "ajax" )
            setting showdebugoutput=false;

    }
}

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Igal @ Lucee.org

May 11, 2015, 11:57:07 AM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
keep in mind that the CGI.SCRIPT_NAME will start with a '/' so the example test below would not work "out of the box".

Jonathan Brookins

May 11, 2015, 11:59:08 AM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Igal.  Great suggestion.  I could get some that way by path.  I'll play around with it today if I can.

Andrew Dixon

May 11, 2015, 1:13:39 PM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
You could try New Relic. They have a free tier and I have a connector from Lucee which you can find here:

and you can sign up for New Relic here:

Kind regards,

Andrew

Gert Franz

May 11, 2015, 3:10:46 PM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
You can as well check, wether the request type is a xsr request (I don't know that from the top of my head, but it refers to any Ajax call). Then you will even be able to turn off debugging for scripts that do not contain the label Ajax.

In addition remember that even if you turn off the debugging output, in the admin you will still be able to check the debugging output.

Gert

Sent from somewhere on the road

Juan Aguilar

May 11, 2015, 4:28:33 PM5/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Check for cgi.http_x_requested_with. This should only have a value (like "xmlhttprequest") for AJAX requests.