Looking for a CI solution for Lucee

John Farrar

Sep 9, 2015, 6:10:30 PM9/9/15
to Lucee
This would be a big win for me, and many others I am sure. Well, if the solution were really packaged ready.

Putting together a remote team is hard enough, but when the work doesn't properly flow due to dev challenges not solved by an easy to deploy CI system... it would be great if one of you guys could tell me what you are doing for this. Especially if it is approachable enough for most remote team members.

Geoff Bowers

Sep 9, 2015, 8:17:09 PM9/9/15
to Lucee

On Thursday, 10 September 2015 08:10:30 UTC+10, John Farrar wrote:
This would be a big win for me, and many others I am sure. Well, if the solution were really packaged ready.

Putting together a remote team is hard enough, but when the work doesn't properly flow due to dev challenges not solved by an easy to deploy CI system... it would be great if one of you guys could tell me what you are doing for this. Especially if it is approachable enough for most remote team members.

Whoa.  That's a big spectrum of options there ;)

We are moving our deployment pipeline to Docker.  This makes recreating development, staging and production environments very straightforward.  But getting into Docker means diving into a fairly deep rabbit hole... I think its worth it in the long run, but something you'd need to invest significant time into.

In truth, any devops implementation will be relatively bespoke, and will need time, effort and political capital -- ie. expect to fail a fair bit initially ;)

If you are interested in Dockerising all things, am happy to help.

GB

Simon Hooker

Sep 10, 2015, 6:03:06 AM9/10/15
to Lucee
Just to throw it out there, I currently have a CI solution in place that makes heavy use of CommandBox to allow the unit tests to be executed.

Long term I may well be following Geoffs lead on moving to Docker, but until then the CommandBox method is fit for purpose and allows for a high degree of certainty that the results seen are accurate.  The only issues I've really had are timezone related due to the way the local server was originally configured - this is the reason for possibly looking at Docker etc.

For my lucee-aws project I have used Travis CI.  If you'd like to see how that was done then you can see the /tests folder along with the .travis.yml etc on https://github.com/mso-net/lucee-aws - that pushes through into https://travis-ci.org/mso-net/lucee-aws which in turn runs the tests - it doesn't really do much else past that but for now it at least lets me see that things are looking ok.

John Farrar

Sep 10, 2015, 8:38:10 AM9/10/15
to Lucee
I am definitely interested in learning Docker, but my next learning window of that size is likely going to be early in 2016. ( based on the learning curve you are describing )

John Farrar

Sep 10, 2015, 8:43:44 AM9/10/15
to Lucee
I am considering CommandBox also in my options.

Here is my struggle, ColdFusion is not dead but it is not premier or uniquely compelling to an outsider. Lucee has potential to shift that play if we can bring some things like CI into our mix. Without something like that, it is harder to convert people to the platform. To my bad, I should have learned ColdBox when I had the chance as it seems to have a better core at large. The training is a fair price but it was more than I budgeted at that time. :)

Simon Hooker

Sep 10, 2015, 9:00:25 AM9/10/15
to Lucee
The thing is you are talking about "CI" but CI stuff is largely platform independant, it's just about how you set up/tear down your environment, that same thing is an issue for any language you can choose really.

It's just that in some cases the language is lighter weight, i.e. doesn't require the full JVM that CF/Lucee does which leads to it being a bit quicker to spin up/tear down your CI environment.

Docker / Vagrant / CommandBox / Shell Scripts are all just means to setting up/tearing down that environment, and from there you can use it in whatever CI server you desire.  Personally I go for Bamboo or Travis, but Jenkins etc are all viable too.

Terry Whitney

Sep 10, 2015, 12:32:29 PM9/10/15
to Lucee
John, First off I love your books.

installing a CF environment is as unique as a snowflake. I have not seen two that are the same.

As for remote workers, to me it would be faster and overall easier just to build an image on digital ocean or amazon, or any other vps service that lets you clone a vps.

Setup once, then clone as many new servers as you need.  Its cheap, it has backup options, and it helps cut deployment time down to a few minutes once setup.

As for using Docker, Its very much overly hyped software IMHO.

Vmware has been doing the same thing for nearly two decades, its called the vmware marketplace.

As for docker, if the community needs it. ill go build a minimal image over the weekend using:

CentOS 7 + Apache Tomcat + Apache + Mod_CFML

Andrew Dixon

Sep 10, 2015, 12:39:41 PM9/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
There are already a couple of official Lucee docker containers available:

Kind regards,

Andrew

--
See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

Chris Blackwell

Sep 10, 2015, 2:25:54 PM9/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Our lucee projects are maven'ized and get packaged as a war and self container jar (includes tomcat 7).

We use atlassian Bamboo for running builds which are then published to an internal maven repo.

Deployment to our cluster is then handled by ansible, automatically in the case of staging  (on successful build) or manually promoted to production.

We'll probably be looking at docker too in the new year, as we seem to be ending up with lots more small services which just need to run some where, but don't warrant a full vm. I just need to figure out how to orchestrate it all.

Chris

Pete Freitag

Sep 10, 2015, 3:02:20 PM9/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
+1 -- it is pretty easy to get up and running with Travis-CI using commandbox to execute your tests via lucee -- you can use this: https://github.com/DominicWatson/travis-testbox-skeleton to get started, it is pretty similar to what Simon is using. I just got cfdocs.org up and running today https://travis-ci.org/foundeo/cfdocs which will be handy because I can run some tests on pull requests automatically when people submit changes.

--
Pete Freitag
https://foundeo.com/ - ColdFusion Consulting & Products

--
See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

Simon Hooker

Sep 10, 2015, 5:35:23 PM9/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pete

The reason it's pretty similar is that I based the lucee-aws Travis configuration heavily on that Doms Travis skeleton :)

Kind Regards,

Simon

Simon Hooker
Head of Product Development

t. +44 (0)1474 704400
e. simon....@mso.net
w. mso.net

mso.net, The Old Granary, Malt House Farm, Green Street Green Road, Dartford, Kent DA2 8DX

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. The content does not necessarily represent the opinion of mso.net or any of its affiliates.
If you are not the intended recipient(s), any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error please notify us by e-mail postm...@mso.net or by telephone +44 (0)1474 704400
Online New Media t/as mso.net Registered in England No. 3824328. Registered office: The Old Granary, Malt House Farm, Green St Green Road. Dartford. Kent DA2 8DX
  Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this email

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Lucee" group.