Tomcat 8.5.x with Lucee

Martin Schaible

Jan 3, 2017, 7:59:36 AM1/3/17
to Lucee
Hello

Instead of using Tomcat 8.0.x, i updated a server with Tomcat 8.5.x. My fault :-)
Before i start a downgrade, i like to ask, if tomcat 8.5.x is a kind of supported for Lucee or not.

I discovered, that Tomcat uses a lot of memory (nearly 10GB) and i'm wondering why.

Cheers

Martin

Ron Stewart

Jan 3, 2017, 1:15:47 PM1/3/17
to Lucee
This is only anecdotal and not intended to take the place of a definitive response regarding official support for Tomcat 8.5.x , but I am running Lucee 5 on Tomcat 8.5.9 on one of my development servers without any problems, and am not seeing anything odd in terms of Tomcat memory usage.

Andrew Dixon

Jan 3, 2017, 4:55:11 PM1/3/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don't think that Lucee "officially" supports any version of Tomcat as such, more the servlet specification that the container engine is built to support. I will see however if I can get some sort of "official" word on this.

With regards specifically to Tomcat 8.5, it is the same servlet specification version as 8.0, so should work exactly the same as 8.0:

Brad Wood

Jan 4, 2017, 11:22:18 AM1/4/17
to Lucee
Lucee has never really kept a comprehensive list of supported servlet containers and versions.  Lucee should be guaranteed to run on the version of Tomcat that our installers ship with, but I believe there's also an expectation that any other modern servlet container that follows the spec should work as well, though we don't put any effort out ATM to test all of them.  If you try running Lucee on a modern servlet container and it doesn't work, please put in a ticket.  And perhaps someone can start a page in our public wiki for people to catalog the servlet containers and versions they've tested.

Thanks!

~Brad

Andrew Dixon

Jan 4, 2017, 12:46:28 PM1/4/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
The servlet version required is specified in the source in the following location:

So currently Lucee requires a servlet container that supports version 3.1, so Tomcat 8 and 8.5 fall into this category. As Brad has said there is no specific testing of servlet container performed by LAS so no specific container is recommended over another, as long as it follows the v3.1 specification then Lucee should in theory run on it without issue but that is by no way guaranteed.

Kind regards,

Andrew