Is the lucee in maven compiled in Java 7?

Derek Lin

Feb 8, 2015, 1:20:42 PM2/8/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Does anyone know if lucee in maven is compiled in Java 7?:

I am trying to migrate from Railo to Lucee, after changing the dependency, I get:

Exception in thread "main" MultiException[java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError
: railo/loader/servlet/CFMLServlet : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0, java.
lang.IllegalStateException: !Selecting]
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:254)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLife
Cycle.java:59)
        at com.example.Main.main(Main.java:44)
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: railo/loader/servlet/CFMLServlet : Unsup
ported major.minor version 51.0
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(Unknown Source)

Sean Corfield

Feb 8, 2015, 3:18:34 PM2/8/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 8, 2015, at 10:20 AM, Derek Lin <derek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know if lucee in maven is compiled in Java 7?:
> : railo/loader/servlet/CFMLServlet : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0, java.

That’s a pretty good indication that you’re trying to run Java 7/8 compiled code on Java 6.

You know that Java 6 hasn’t had any public updates for two years? Even Java 7 has been EOL’d (end of public updates is scheduled for April 2015).

Sean Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."

denstar

Feb 8, 2015, 3:32:55 PM2/8/15
to lucee
Yup, it's compiled in 7.  The containers we're using (Jetty 9, Tomcat 8, WildFly, etc.) are all dependent on 7, so it seemed to make sense.  There are *significant* performance increases in Java 7-- plus, there are now bundles with a JRE available, so if you run into trouble try one of those.

-Den

melinite (David S)

Feb 8, 2015, 4:01:52 PM2/8/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
We've moved all our middleware to Wildfly/Jetty  and Java 8 during the last 60 days. Java 8 performed very well for us in the pre migration workload simulations, with very little configuration, much to our CM's delights. No more documentating verbose 10 line java directives.

Oracle has a targeted date of end of public updates for Java 7, April 2015. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/eol-135779.html, but this doesn't mean EOL for java 7 just yet. They are just encouraging a bump to Java 8.

Derek Lin

Feb 8, 2015, 4:59:15 PM2/8/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Ok.  Thanks guys for the info.  I'll try lucee when I can upgrade my Java.  I still need Java 6 running for compatibility :)

Igal @ Lucee.org

Feb 8, 2015, 5:00:41 PM2/8/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
what is Java 6 compatible with that Java 7 isn't? (bugs and security holes don't count...)