Errors in Mail.log

Scott Conklin

Apr 29, 2016, 10:28:16 AM4/29/16
to Lucee
Since migrating from ACF to Lucee 4.5, I am noticing the mail.log file is filling up with hundreds of the following errors:

"ERROR","Thread-77795","04/29/2016","09:27:20","","mail;501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
;501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueSendCommand(SMTPTransport.java:1333):1333
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.mailFrom(SMTPTransport.java:906):906
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:535):535
at lucee.runtime.net.smtp.SMTPSender.run(SMTPSender.java:61):61

We have error handlers defined in the the application as well as a site-wide error handler specified both  of which send error reports.

1 ) we never had such errors in ACF that i am aware of
2) I don't understand why these errors are not being trapped by one of those error handlers so i can get more detail like template/line number etc..
2)  and how i should go about finding the source of this error. I have debugging turned on for the "level" in the logs section of the admin but the error above is all i am getting. no line number or anything else.

Any ideas on how I can figure this out.. (this legacy application has 100's of cfmail instances.)

Risto

Apr 29, 2016, 2:16:57 PM4/29/16
to Lucee
Just a general troubleshooting idea...

See what spam policy settings you have in place on your mail server and disable header checks
unless you can figure out what your mail server doesn't like about your headers. If you're not running the mail server maybe talk to the people
that run it and ask them if they can see what in your headers they don't like.

Andrew Dixon

Apr 29, 2016, 2:45:25 PM4/29/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

The reason you are not getting an error from the template "sending" the email is because the template doesn't actually send the email, it spools them to a queue. In both ACF and Lucee this "queue" is on disk, however in Lucee you can actually see the queue in the web context admin under "Tasks". Reading that error it is occurring when Lucee connects to the SMTP server to send the email and the SMTP server is rejecting the email for the reason given "Bad sender address syntax".

These emails should still be in the "tasks" section of the web context admin as "failed" and you should then be able to see the full contents of the emails including the "to" and "from" addresses, which might tell you why it doesn't like it, maybe the email address has characters Lucee is not handling correctly or something like that.

Either that or something changed with the SMTP server (or you changed SMTP server at the same time) and it is not Lucee at all.

Kind regards,

Andrew

--
Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! - http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html

Scott Conklin

Apr 29, 2016, 4:22:01 PM4/29/16
to Lucee
Thanks very much.
I will check that out after I enable remote access to the web admin for the contexts..
I have it that I can only view the server admin on localhost on the default web site where no activity occurs and the tasks are empty.