Newbie Lucee Questions

Doug Roberson

Feb 28, 2015, 7:54:45 PM2/28/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
When I set up my Railo servers, I used Helicon Zoo, which took care stuff I should have learned how to do on my own. Most of my work with CF has been cleaning up really old (and really bad code) at my day job, which hasn't prepared me for setting up a clean instance.

While setting up Lucee, I've come across questions whose answers I wished were more easily accessible.

I've put together what I found here and may add more stuff later in case someone else comes here looking for information - I know that most of you guys are way beyond this stuff, and maybe I'll join you one day, but hopefully there is room for guys like me for now.

My questions and the answers:

1 Setting up multiple Lucee websites on Windows/IIS:

These instructions assume you know how to set up DNS, port forwarding for your router, and how to add a new site in IIS.

2) Verify that Lucee is running (The internal IP of my Lucee server is 192.168.1.80, so I went to http://192.168.1.80:8888 to view the Hello Lucee page, which verified a successful deployment)
3) Set up DNS for a site, if you haven't already (I added lctest.blahblah.com to my GoDaddy DNS). Set up port forwarding on your router, if needed.
4) Create your local folder, if you haven't already ( I used C:\sites\lctest)
5) Add a Host entry to Server.XML - I installed to the default location (C:\lucee) so the path is C:\lucee\tomcat\conf\server.xml)
6) Just above the </Engine> tag, add the following Host entry:

<Host name="lctest.blahblah.com" appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
<Context path="" docBase="C:\sites\lctest\" />
<Alias>lctest.blahblah.com</Alias>
</Host>
Substitute your host name and alias, and put in your local folder for docBase

7) Save the XML file and Restart Lucy - in Windows 2012 R2, click the Start button, click the down arrow, select Lucy-Tomcat Service Control
8) On the General tab, click the Stop button. When Service Status changes to Stopped, click the Start button.
9) Watch an episode of Star Trek, the Original Series to celebrate Leonard Nimoy
10) Create a simple index.cfm file - if you're stumped, you can use the example code from Tom Kitta's tutorial - http://www.tomkitta.com/guides/cf_101.cfm
11) Navigate to your alias - for me, it was http://]lctest.blahblah.com - and check that index.cfm executes

The same principles apply for migrating existing sites to a new Lucee server, after setting up any necessary datasources and, if needed, SMTP server.

2 Enabling Debugging on multiple Lucee websites

Create a web.config file in the site's root folder. It should contain:

<configuration>
   <system.webServer>
      <httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
   </system.webServer>
</configuration>

Here is a quick way to get a dump to make sure debug works:

<cfloop list="url, variables" index="i">
    <cfdump var=#evaluate(i)# label="#i#">
</cfloop>

Igal @ Lucee.org

Feb 28, 2015, 8:16:36 PM2/28/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I've put together what I found here and may add more stuff later in case someone else comes here looking for information
it'd be great if you could add that to the Wiki, either on a new document, or existing ones where applicable
https://bitbucket.org/lucee/lucee/wiki/Home

Here is a quick way to get a dump to make sure debug works:

<cfloop list="url, variables" index="i">
    <cfdump var=#evaluate(i)# label="#i#">
</cfloop>
you could do it a bit simpler by using inline struct, e.g.

<cfdump var="#{ URL: URL, variables: variables, CGI: CGI }#">

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Doug Roberson

Feb 28, 2015, 8:31:43 PM2/28/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Done - I created this page:

And that page is now linked to on the "How to set up a Lucee Server on Windows" page:

Thank you for showing me a better dump!