lucee vagrant box

Brian FitzGerald

Feb 18, 2015, 2:18:52 PM2/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

One of the things that helped me get going with Railo quickly was the availability of a Vagrant box pre-configured with centos, railo, tomcat, and apache. Do you guys see the value of setting up a Vagrant box for Lucee? I think it's a very powerful way to get new developers up and running quickly.

I would create it myself but I don't have much experience in this area (creating vagrant boxes/server administration), so wanted to put it out there and get some thoughts.

Any insight welcome,
Brian

Edmilton Neves

Feb 18, 2015, 2:38:58 PM2/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian!

But, I still haven't tried.

Ed

Michael Sprague

Feb 18, 2015, 3:14:29 PM2/18/15
to lucee
@Ed, thanks for the mentioning my Vagrant box.

@Brian I've had good luck with my Vagrant box but it's using Ubuntu and Nginx instead of CentOS like you mentioned. I was new to Vagrant when I originally set it up so it may point you in the right direction if it doesn't meet your individual needs.

One note: currently cfspreadsheet isn't working but will be replaced, and the Github repo updated, today or tomorrow.

Mike

Brad Wood

Feb 18, 2015, 5:04:36 PM2/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I have used Michael's Vagrant box and it worked great.  I'm actually in the process of making my own version of it right now.  For instance, I don't care for putting all the Lucee jars in the WEB-INF/lib (even though it's more portal) so I have mine set up to add the jars to Tomcat, and modify the default web.xml to add the servlet mappings.  Using an installer would probably be even easier, but I don't think there's a Lucee installer yet so I'm just doing it manually.  I'll be setting mine up to use Apache too.

I would recommend starting with Michael's and modifying it to do what you need.  He just uses the "shell" provisioning which may not be quite as slick as Chef, but it's simple and easy to follow.

Thanks!

~Brad

Brian FitzGerald

Feb 18, 2015, 5:10:22 PM2/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Understood. Thanks everyone for the insight. I'll take a look at Michael's configuration and start there.

Best,
Brian

Curt Gratz

Feb 19, 2015, 9:00:18 AM2/19/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
For mine, I just took my Railo Vagrant box and used its silent installer, then swapped the jars.  This is basically just until the Lucee installer is done.

Curt

Dave Merrill

Nov 19, 2015, 11:59:39 AM11/19/15
to Lucee
Hi folks, was thinking about this too. Is anyone working on it?

Have you seen this:
https://github.com/dskaggs/vagrant-centos-lucee

Matches the apps I'd want, but the MySQL version is old, 5.1.

Brad Wood

Nov 19, 2015, 12:15:10 PM11/19/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I would recommend updating it and sending Dan a pull request.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org

--
Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! - http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html

Dave Merrill

Nov 19, 2015, 12:33:57 PM11/19/15
to Lucee
Thanks for replying Brad, makes sense.

Only thing is, I'm brand new to Vagrant, like just installed it today, never used it, so I'm lacking a number of basic clues about how things work. I do plan to investigate, in my "spare time", and if I get to where I have something worth pulling I'll definitely let him know.

Thanks again,
Dave

Brad Wood

Nov 19, 2015, 12:45:49 PM11/19/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
This script here is what installs MySQL:

You can manually play around with the VM to test the install, including running /vagrant/bash-scripts/step-5-install-mysql.csh directly, or just doing "vagrant provision" to re-run all provisioners.  After making changes to any of the config you can also test from scratch with "vagrant destroy" followed up "vagrant up" which will rebuild the VM from scratch.

Here is a fork of Dan's repo that I've done a lot of work on.  It includes a local artifact cache that keeps it from re-downloading all the installers again, but it has MySQL removed since we didn't need it.  Feel free to mix and match improvements in your own repo.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org

Tim Clarke

Nov 19, 2015, 1:05:35 PM11/19/15
to Lucee
May I suggest, since I'm just finishing the process, that this nice shiny new bottled install be set up to pass as many PCI-type intrusion compliance and security tests as possible? We can only increase Lucee adoption by hitting higher security benchmarks. The obvious and immediate failure would probably be a self-signed certificate, but defaulting to https, Beast+Poodle+Heartbleed protection, removal of old SSLV2 and TLS v1 protocols would be a great start for new sites.

Dan Skaggs

Nov 19, 2015, 2:39:02 PM11/19/15
to Lucee
Maybe I should put a disclaimer in the README, but I originally created that box for development purposes. It should most definitely *not* be used for production. That's why the firewall is essentially turned off in the last step so I can get to MySQL, SSH, *whatever* easily from my local machine as I'm developing.

As Brad said, their fork has a lot of great updates that I want to roll into this one but I can't do a regular pull request b/c I wanted my box to keep using Apache and MySQL. I've created a few tickets on the repo with references to the relevant files in their repo to bring some of the good stuff Brad and the folks at Ortus did in their fork back to my repo.  Anyone who cares to pick those up can feel free to fork the repo and submit pull requests back.

Glad to see it's been useful to some folks.

Dan

Tim Clarke

Nov 19, 2015, 3:09:56 PM11/19/15
to Lucee
Time for a nice healthy fork then or even an installation switch. No better reason.