Migrating Railo to Lucee

mich...@gmx.net

Aug 7, 2015, 11:21:20 AM8/7/15
to Lucee
Hi,

I encountered issues during a migration from Railo to Lucee.
Is there any way to migrate a railo-web.xml.cfm to a lucee-web.xml.cfm without getting a lucee-web.1.buggy file?
Can I cleanup the system in a way, so the whole migration process starts from the early beginning with the working /WEB-INF/railo/ files if I restart Lucee?

Regards
Michael

Brad Wood

Aug 9, 2015, 1:27:12 AM8/9/15
to Lucee
Hmm, I thought you were just saying the Railo to Lucee migration was buggy, but a quick search of the Lucee code base shows that, in some instances, Lucee literally renames config files to have the word "buggy" in them.

https://github.com/lucee/Lucee/blob/dc02d7bd06a76f8f6ff537f089c7c519249dcde6/core/src/main/java/lucee/runtime/config/XMLConfigFactory.java#L104

Well, actually that line appears to be looking for such files-- I'm not sure where they come from.  I'm guessing you'll have to wait for Micha to pop in and explain how to troubleshoot that.  I don't know if the errors get logged, but I'd check your standard out log to see.

You can try taking your old config and just doing a global file/replace to change railo to lucee but I don't know if that actually works.

Thanks!

~Brad

mich...@gmx.net

Aug 10, 2015, 5:01:35 AM8/10/15
to Lucee
Hi Brad,

I finally could re-start the migration by removing the lucee-server and WEB-INF/lucee directories (which I tried about five times, and worked only once).
Editing the files manually did not work and would also drop all scheduled tasks, as they are not stored in the lucee-web.xml.cfm.

Regards
Michael

Michael Offner

Aug 10, 2015, 11:47:40 AM8/10/15
to lucee
seems that something goes wrong when converting the railo xml to the lucee xml, what results in invalid xml file that then get renamed to ".buggy" and replaced with a empty version of the file.
Lucee always stores the original Railo context in a zip file next to the config folder, so revert the change is easy.
you can send me the railo-web.xml.cfm file in question (offlist if you like), i will check what is causing the problem.

Micha

--
See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

Brad Wood

Aug 10, 2015, 1:29:21 PM8/10/15
to Lucee
Micha, I noticed the try/catch doesn't actually do anything with the trapped error which seems like a waste of a perfectly good exception object :)

How do you feel about adding some basic logging (even just e.printStackTrace() ) so in cases like this, the developer can at least get an idea of what the issue is by checking the logs instead of having to send you the XML file?

Thanks!

~Brad