accessing lucee server administrator in basic docker install

Brian FitzGerald

Feb 17, 2016, 9:51:48 AM2/17/16
to Lucee
Greetings,

I am following along here to setup the lucee/lucee4-nginx docker container. I have the docker container running and processing basic .cfm files which I created manually in the terminal. Awesome.

My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to access the lucee admin so I can do things like setup a datasource (so my app can run).

My local docker-machine IP is 192.168.99.100. The way I am reading the description on the docker container, I should be able to access the admin control panel via: http://192.168.99.100/lucee/admin - but this is not working (403 forbidden). Just tinkering around I removed the nginx config rule for location ^~ /lucee deny all but that just changed the 403 to a 404 not found.

One last note: I notice the container description says the /var/www root should have a hello world file. For me, it was empty. So maybe the lucee admin should also be in the web root and for some reason isn't?

Thanks for any insight,
Brian

Michael Sprague

Feb 17, 2016, 9:56:25 AM2/17/16
to lucee
Try hitting the server and web admins directly and see if that works.

In your case they should be:

http://192.168.99.100/lucee/admin/server.cfm
http://192.168.99.100//lucee/admin/web.cfm

--
Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! - http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html

Michael Sprague

Feb 17, 2016, 10:04:18 AM2/17/16
to lucee
Forgot to mention, you can also define your datasource in the Application.cfc file. Info on that is about half way down this page:

Warm regards,

Mike

Brian FitzGerald

Feb 17, 2016, 10:08:23 AM2/17/16
to Lucee
Thank you Michael. As I explore this box via the terminal, I am noticing (again) that the web root was empty upon initially running the docker container.

I did find a lucee directory in /opt/lucee which has two nested directories /server and /web, but neither of those has a nested file called server.cfm or web.cfm. The /opt/lucee/server directory has a nested directory called lucee-server, which has nested directories context and patches. The web directory has many sub-directories but no file called web.cfm.

Are these files the lucee administrator, or perhaps lucee itself? Just for fun I copied that entire lucee directory into the web root and have tried to access it in several ways without luck.

Brian

ps, I will try defining a datasource manually, but I would still like to access the admin panel for things like debug output, etc.

Michael Sprague

Feb 17, 2016, 10:15:31 AM2/17/16
to lucee
I'm pretty sure you'll find the admin files here:

{{your-web-root-folder}}/WEB-INF/lucee/context/

Warm regards,

Mike

Sent with MailTrack

Nando Breiter

Feb 17, 2016, 10:32:50 AM2/17/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

Highly suggest using ssh tunneling to lockdown and access both lucee and acf admin directories. Almost all vulnerabilities have been via open access to these directories.

Aria Media Sagl
Skype: ariamedia

Brian FitzGerald

Feb 17, 2016, 10:36:31 AM2/17/16
to Lucee
Thanks again Mike. Unfortunately the web root on that docker container (/var/www) is indeed empty upon initial running of the container.

Maybe I can download and extract the lucee admin code and figure out how to get it onto the container. Do you know the easiest way to get the admin code?

@Nando, thank you for sharing that. I definitely plan on locking that stuff down (especially now with your tip) once I get to production. In the meantime, I would love to get this administrator running in my dev environment - does that directory structure I described sound like it's even the admin code at all? I'm thinking it's not.

Michael Sprague

Feb 17, 2016, 10:45:35 AM2/17/16
to lucee
In my experience, I've only seen the admin "missing" in Lucee 5 (since it's been moved out of the core and into an extension).

That being said, I haven't used their Docker images so I don't have any real advice; maybe someone else with experience with those will chime in.

​Warm regards,

Mike​

Bilal

Feb 18, 2016, 9:52:49 AM2/18/16
to Lucee

Brian FitzGerald

Feb 18, 2016, 10:06:37 AM2/18/16
to Lucee
Thanks for the suggestion Bilal!

In fact, last night I was able to access the Lucee administrator (it's a beautiful site) with the help of Geoff Bowers. I was trying to run the lucee/luce4-nginx docker container directly, which was really where I went wrong to begin with.

The correct approach, as it turns out, is really to only use the preconfigured lucee containers as boxes upon which you base your custom image. By creating a new image based on lucee/lucee4-nginx and adding the "configuration overrides" for nginx and lucee, I was able to access the administrator (at http://[docker_machine_ip]/lucee/admin/server.cfm)  and create a new datasource, which in turn pointed to another docker container on port 3306. Then, I had a simple index.cfm file run a query and dump some data. Great!

At this point, I thought I was home free for running my app, but I still have two issues to work out:
  1. Upon pulling in the actual application code, I noticed that DI/1 is having issues trying to auto-discover the beans in my model. I've never had this problem before, so I'm trying to figure out why this is happening, and
  2. The mounting of volumes from my OSX host into the container is proving challenging since there are 3 layers to content with in the docker world when running on OSX or windows: 1) the host os (OSX), 2) the docker-machine (virtual linux machine for the docker engine to run in), and 3) the docker containers themselves. My goal is to get a volume from OSX to mount directly into the docker container, which as I said is proving challenging, but is perhaps outside the scope of this discussion.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. I'm close!

Brian FitzGerald

Feb 23, 2016, 2:21:49 PM2/23/16
to Lucee
I just realized I hadn't followed up on this guy. The issue here was that having a method with the name _dateFormat was blowing up in Lucee (whereas it did not in Railo). Anyhow, @ivanionut had actually contributed a fix to the CF Mailgun project back in December, so all is well there after updating the method name. I'm still working out one or two Nginx config kinks but all in all, thrilled to finally be running on Lucee.