Lucee won't start on new install?

Seb Duggan

Apr 12, 2016, 7:01:26 AM4/12/16
to Lucee
I'm just creating a new CentOS install. I installed Lucee 4.5 using the 64-bit installer, and all went well. All defaults used except running the service under the apache user.

I was able to view the Lucee welcome page, and access the Lucee admin. But when I try to restart the service, it will no longer start up. I get the message:

 * Starting Lucee: . . . [DONE]

...but it's not accessible. If I try to start the service again, it tells me it is already running. But if I try to stop the service, I get:

SEVERE: Could not contact localhost:8005. Tomcat may not be running.

Apr 12, 2016 11:53:14 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer

SEVERE: Catalina.stop:

at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:350)

at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)

at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stopServer(Catalina.java:450)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.stopServer(Bootstrap.java:400)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:487)

The stop command failed. Attempting to signal the process to stop through OS signal.

. . [DONE]

I can now run start again, but it still doesn't return any pages.

Nothing relevant seems to show in the Catalina.out log, all log items are just INFO.

Anyone have any ideas before I wipe the image and start again?

- Seb

Andrew Dixon

Apr 12, 2016, 7:04:39 AM4/12/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Which user are you running the Lucee/Tomcat restart via? If not root try using sudo, e.g.:

sudo /etc/init.d/lucee_ctl restart

Kind regards,

Andrew

--
Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! - http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html

Seb Duggan

Apr 12, 2016, 7:27:52 AM4/12/16
to Lucee
Running under root.

But when I tried it just now, it worked fine. Discovered that the issue was that it was taking a long time (4+ minutes) to start up and serve pages.

This seems to be a very long time for a completely default install?

I installed it with mod_cfml this time, which I've not used before - could that cause any delay?

- Seb

Michael Heel

Apr 12, 2016, 7:30:03 AM4/12/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
maybe install it manually ?

disabled selinux ?

added the urandom java_opts ?

here is my centos install howto

see attachments

greetings
michael

Apr 12, 2016, 8:04:20 AM4/12/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Which version of CentOS are you running?  I had the exact same issue with a fresh install on 7.2x64  Installing on CentOS 7.0x64 was the only solution to fix the stability issues, in my case.

Jon

Seb Duggan

Apr 12, 2016, 8:06:53 AM4/12/16
to Lucee
7.2x64.

7.0 isn't an option here, but 6.7 is - and that's what's running nicely on my existing server...

Jon Clausen

Apr 12, 2016, 8:14:13 AM4/12/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I’d suggest rolling back to 6.7, then, for now.   I was unable to figure out the issue, after spending 3 hours attempting to debug.  As you noted, there was nothing in the logs to indicate a problem.

7.0 was using the same version of Tomcat and Java, as well, so I’m at a loss on what the root cause of the issue could be.

HTH,
Jon

Seb Duggan

Apr 12, 2016, 8:36:36 AM4/12/16
to Lucee
Thanks, Jon.

Spun up a CentOS 6.7 install, exactly the same Lucee install options. It now delivers the first webpage in <10 seconds.

Anyone know what the issue is here? I'm happy to stick with 6.7 for now, but there does seem to be a big problem here!

(Might try an image with CentOS 7.2 and Railo 5, just out of interest. I'll report my findings...)

- Seb

Andrew Dixon

Apr 12, 2016, 8:48:45 AM4/12/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Odd, I'm running Lucee on a CentOS7.2 VM without any issues.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Jon Clausen

Apr 12, 2016, 8:58:47 AM4/12/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
It does seem weird.  My issue was on a Digital Ocean droplet VM.  They have some default customizations to for server controls, so there may be something in there that was causing the issue.  I’ll have to test it out on KVM or VMWare to see if it’s specific to that platform.
Message has been deleted

Seb Duggan

Apr 12, 2016, 9:39:51 AM4/12/16
to Lucee
OK, found the solution...

The issue is with cloud servers (in this case on Digital Ocean) and generating random numbers. Normally, a computer will use physical interactions from keyboard, mouse and other hardware to provide the entropy to generate truly random numbers.

But of course cloud servers don't have all these things, and so they sit around waiting to gather enough info to generate a random number.

Read more about it here:

The solution is to install haveged (ideally, before you install Lucee, and your installation will go much faster!).

Having done that, Lucee on CentOS 7.2 goes from "Starting... DONE" to serving a web page in less than 5 seconds - basically, I barely had time to start the stopwatch and refresh the page!

- Seb

Jon Clausen

Apr 12, 2016, 10:00:48 AM4/12/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Sweet, Seb!  I’m glad you figured it out.  Thanks for sharing that knowledge.