CFML for Atom Editor

AJ Mercer

Jun 5, 2015, 8:57:47 PM6/5/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Jonas Hauß

Jun 6, 2015, 3:13:58 AM6/6/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

As far as I know is this package a port of the textmate cfml bundle. It's the base of the ST3 plugin too.

Konstantinos Liakos

Jun 6, 2015, 4:30:19 AM6/6/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Just tried it.

Go used to it very quickly. Highlighting is very nice and autocomplete is pretty decent actually.

Robert Munn

Jun 6, 2015, 4:30:25 AM6/6/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
General feedback or relative to the idea of making a Lucee plugin?

In tags, you can type cf*, as soon as you type ”cf” you get an inline context menu with choices for CFML tags. Pick a tag from the menu and the tag in written into the editor. When a tag appears, it comes with all of its possible attributes, eg.

<cfargument name="" type="[ ]" required="[ ]" default="[ ]" displayname="[ ]" hint="[ ]">

It does not appear that you can get contextual suggestions for tag attributes, e.g. typing “<cfargument” and then spacebar does not provide a context menu of attributes for the tag. In my version, a context menu appears, but it is not a CFML context menu. It looks like an HTML context menu, which is distracting but harmless. Hitting spacebar inside a completed tag (to add another attribute, for example) produces the same HTML context menu.

In CFScript- similar results. In a script-based component, you get contextual hints in a menu, e.g. typing “pr” shows “property" in the context menu. You also get methods in the component as suggestions in the context menu, which is good. Adding the command and hitting spacebar, though, once again delivers a context menu that is unrelated to the particular command. Distracting but harmless.

Syntax highlighting and code coloring are pretty good. I’ve seen a few instances where certain styles of coding broke the code coloring, but they look like edge cases and could probably be fixed fairly quickly.

Code folding works well, and as a bonus the carets that indicate where you can fold the code stay hidden until you mouseover the gutter.

I don’t know how up to date the grammar is. Looks fairly good but I have not looked closely at it.

The context menu stuff needs to improve and act like a proper context menu. I don’t know if that is an issue with the plugin or with Atom itself.

Atom, overall, is still relatively immature. On the positive side, it has good backers in Github and is steadily improving.

Otherwise, Atom, like Brackets and Sublime Text, is a text editor, which is ok since the homepage of the Atom web site says this:

"A hackable text editor for the 21st Century"

Robert Munn

Jun 6, 2015, 4:32:42 AM6/6/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
So is my install of Atom just suffering from a plugin conflict? Do you see the same issues I am seeing or do you get good context menus?

Konstantinos Liakos

Jun 6, 2015, 4:36:26 AM6/6/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Robert, I don't write tag based cfml at all, so I didn't tried the cases you mentioned.

But since I am used to a simple text editor with very limited autocomplete support, Atom seems pretty good to me.