iText distribution with Lucee

AJ Mercer

May 30, 2015, 5:25:06 AM5/30/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Any one know what is allowed with the distribution of iText JARs with Lucee, or extension for Lucee for cfpdfform tag?

Is it already bundled with Lucee?

legalese (

AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE

)

​Just thought I would ask in hope of getting simplified answer before delving into all of this.

James Holmes

May 30, 2015, 6:27:11 AM5/30/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
From the source:

"Please note that the GNU AGPL is not compatible with GPLv2. It is also technically not compatible with GPLv3 in a strict sense: you cannot take code released under the GNU AGPL and convey or modify it however you like under the terms of GPLv3, or vice versa. However, you are allowed to combine separate modules or source files released under both of those licenses in a single project, which will provide many programmers with all the permission they need to make the programs they want. See section 13 of both licenses for details"

As Lucee is GPL2, iText under AGPL isn't compatible.

Michael Offner

May 30, 2015, 8:06:23 AM5/30/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Lucee 4.5 has bundled this versionAdd a different version will bring you troubles.

With Lucee 5.0 this is different, that version is using OSGi, so first of all the iText version can change with every patch release and it does not limit you in the version you are using.
This is the version used with one lucee5 ATM

Micha

AJ Mercer

May 30, 2015, 8:44:53 AM5/30/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
iText is up to version 5.5.6

Looks like it is a new version of lowagie

Geoff Bowers

May 31, 2015, 4:30:33 AM5/31/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com, ajme...@gmail.com
AJ,

I don't believe the AGPL license of the latest iText is compatible with the Lucee LGPL license.  If you want to use the latest library you'd need to negotiate a license deal with iText for a commercial extension in Lucee 5.0.  This will not be a simple tag or component wrapper for the Java library.

GB

James Holmes

May 31, 2015, 5:20:08 AM5/31/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Certainly not according to the links I posted yesterday.

AJ Mercer

May 31, 2015, 6:26:57 AM5/31/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Would you like me to contact the iText team on behalf of Lucee?

I have made good progress on creating a cfpdfform tag. I was planning a putting a link to download page so people could get the JARS themselves.

The next step will be to create an extension. I am thinking there could be a step be to accept their license and download files.

Kai also mentioned boxpdf - anyone looked at using that for PDF forms?

Would that be a better option for Lucee?

Nando Breiter

May 31, 2015, 6:37:33 AM5/31/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Kai also mentioned boxpdf - anyone looked at using that for PDF forms?

Do you mean PDFBox - http://pdfbox.apache.org/  ?