Server Side Events getting error

Phillip Vector

Feb 11, 2017, 12:14:51 PM2/11/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I know this isn't a javascript group, but I'm wondering if there is
something specific to Lucee that is causing this issue (and if you
know about SSE's and can provide why this isn't working, so much the
better).

So I have the following code in the javascript of the page.

<script>
if (!!window.EventSource)
{
var source = new EventSource('Stream.cfm');
source.onmessage = function(event)
{
document.getElementById("result").innerHTML += event.data + "<br>";
};
}
else
{
// Result to xhr polling :(
}

source.addEventListener('message', function(e) {
console.log(e.data);
}, false);

source.addEventListener('open', function(e) {
// Connection was opened.
console.log('Open');
}, false);

source.addEventListener('error', function(e) {
console.log('Error');
console.log(e);
source.close();
if (e.readyState == EventSource.CLOSED) {
// Connection was closed.
console.log('Closed');
}
}, false);

</script>

and on the server side, I have this..

<cfcontent type="text/event-stream">
data: Hello World!\n\n

I copied this from a few websites around the web and as I can see it,
logically, this should work. However, when I run it, I get an error.
It opens up correctly, but I get an error and close.

The error is multi-layered and I am boggled by what I should be
looking for 6 layers deep.

If someone can please point me to where I am going wrong, it would be
very appreciated. It loads ok and it keeps refreshing (when I remove
the "source.close()")... I just don't see anything on the screen. It's
fully blank (source shows the javascript and the div unfilled).

Joseph Gooch

Feb 11, 2017, 9:46:04 PM2/11/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
If thats all you have in the cfm, then you're not keeping the connection open...

You'd want to throw a cfflush in there

And then enter some sory

Joseph Gooch

Feb 11, 2017, 9:50:04 PM2/11/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Trying again...grr ipad

If thats all you have in the cfm, then you're not keeping the connection open...

You'd want to throw a cfflush in there

And then enter some sort of busywait loop or sleep cycle to retrieve more server messages from your producer and output them with a cfflush following to your consumer.(javascript). Possibly with : comments every 10-15 seconds to keep any agressive firewalls happy.

Plus you'll run into the requesttimeout.  So you'll want to increase that w/ cfsetting.

Any reason you're doing this instead of leveraging something like rabbitmq+STOMP?
-G

Phillip Vector

Feb 12, 2017, 1:52:46 AM2/12/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
>You'd want to throw a cfflush in there

Tried that. No luck. Though I will try again.

>And then enter some sort of busywait loop or sleep cycle to retrieve more server messages from your producer and output them with a cfflush following to your consumer.(javascript). Possibly with : comments every 10-15 seconds to keep any agressive firewalls happy.

It was my understanding that I didn't need to keep rechecking as the
server pings the file and (I thought) that if the output changes, it
pushes the changes to the client. If I remove the .close(), it keeps
checking every 3 seconds or so.

>Plus you'll run into the requesttimeout. So you'll want to increase that w/ cfsetting.

*nods* Ok. I'll keep that in mind.

>Any reason you're doing this instead of leveraging something like rabbitmq+STOMP?

Because my javascript sucks and this seemed like the easiest thing to
implement (HA!) for a set of chat rooms I'm trying to change from the
clients pinging the server every 10 seconds and this seemed like a
viable option. I'm currently trying to get into connect.io and
node.js, but I'm feeling lost and confused and such as my knowledge of
javascript is limited to basic jQuery stuff.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/CAKY58c5Z1OWKVFZs1%3De%3Do1S10J8fg-N71ZUMRPZ3xkrJcDcydQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Joseph Gooch

Feb 12, 2017, 8:36:26 AM2/12/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I've never used SSE's so I'm flying a little blind here.. but:
That example doesn't have .close

Code here:

The Javascript around line 227:
No close.

I do not believe you want the source.close().  If you do that, the browser will not reconnect.  (You're closing the stream)

So that's the client side. :)

Now if you look at the server side...

Check out the busy loop.  With flushing.

The whole point of a SSE stream would be to have a long running connection, during which you could periodically send updated data packets as they happen... From ACF or Lucee's perspective - that's one single cfm call. So you'd need to do the busy waiting yourself.  The browser reconnects automatically/maybe with a 3 sec delay - that's just to work around servers that are used to a transactional HTTP connection that closes, or aggressive firewalls with short connection timeouts, or transitory network issues.

It's possible you have an extension, or you're using a feature of Lucee I'm not aware of... But just going by how CF works - Lucee's not going to know your data has changed.  There's no way Lucee could poll your CFM and know that the content changed, and then issue an update... Lucee would have to know that request connection would need to stay open, and it would have to poll your backend datasource, not your filesystem, and ultimately, the cfm is generating dynamic output - so it would have to RUN the cfm before it knew there was a change.  The logic to know there's a change (i.e. new message) and send it would have to be in your wait loop.

If you're really just sending, say, all the new messages received for that session since the last poll - at that point you might as well use XHR.  If you don't have a long running request, the client is polling anyway.

http://socket.io goes through the chat room pretty thoroughly - they use websockets, which introduces other challenges. (or long polling - which is similar to what SSE is doing)

-G

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/CANmAeAxTKPChZ9pCnDT0t1WGB0N%3D2a%2BXO97d4QGx_tMh_BdLEA%40mail.gmail.com.

Phillip Vector

Feb 12, 2017, 11:58:35 AM2/12/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I put in the close to see what the error was. It only triggers if the call returns an error.

So it isn't rerunning the page every 3 seconds? Damm. I may have to work out Node.js and connect.io then.

Joseph Gooch

Feb 12, 2017, 9:27:07 PM2/12/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
If you just want it to rerun the page every 3 seconds, why not put a jQuery.ajax call in a Javascript setInterval? :)

-G

Phillip Vector

Feb 12, 2017, 9:30:57 PM2/12/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I tried that and trying to move away from it.

I have around 20-40 players logged into the chat at once. Even at 10
seconds, it basically DDOSs my server.

>>> --
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/CANmAeAzNdB0vv9PCGw63PX%3DPgCOxS1ZY5q8poFNr7T161icbZw%40mail.gmail.com.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/CAKY58c4pPqN8KcUaiFTvK-PZtJzp_HcN-5RZ_HxPX_%2BB2%3Diqew%40mail.gmail.com.

Joseph Gooch

Feb 12, 2017, 9:32:42 PM2/12/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
How are you storing and distributing the messages?  How do you organize them in chat rooms and determine who needs to receive what message?

-G

>>> --
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/CANmAeAzNdB0vv9PCGw63PX%3DPgCOxS1ZY5q8poFNr7T161icbZw%40mail.gmail.com.

Phillip Vector

Feb 12, 2017, 9:56:18 PM2/12/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I am storing incoming messages in a MySQL database with a "RoomID"
code set. When someone is in the "Chat" function, it queries the
database using a where for the roomID the player is in and gives a
list of messages they can see. I then replace a div area with the list
of messages after formating.

>> > --
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/CAKY58c4pPqN8KcUaiFTvK-PZtJzp_HcN-5RZ_HxPX_%2BB2%3Diqew%40mail.gmail.com.

>> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/CAKY58c7qWBnY%3D3Fc6XSrvjOeabVRxEAqC5eRHjqFh%2BPzDObR_w%40mail.gmail.com.

Joseph Gooch

Feb 12, 2017, 10:36:05 PM2/12/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Here's a really basic example.

Clone, box server start, and browse to /chat/index.cfm

Each tab is a different "client" guid.
Type something in the text area and hit send, and you'll see it back on your screen, and every other tab too.

Open the chrome dev tools, and you'll see a long-running request to messages.cfm that never dies. (hopefully)  It just sends data as it's available.

sendmsg is a simple ajax call to send a new message.

I'm using in-memory java LinkedBlockingQueues to do the concurrency, intelligent locking between requests, etc.  https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/concurrent/LinkedBlockingQueue.html

This also means the messages only exist in memory, and only on a single server instance.

Ultimately what you're doing lends itself to a messaging structure. (Several queues of one to many broadcasting)  The javascript pattern here is also based on messaging and queueing...

In this case there's no polling.  .take() waits until there's a message.  I don't have to implement that logic.  Internally it's probably a java semaphore or condition object.  I'm using a structure to track room "members", and looping over queues to inject messages. So sendmsg has the broadcast semantics.  Queues are essentially one per client.  No polling because Java's handling it internally.

Using a backend like a database means you're going to have to poll somewhere.  It might be in lucee, it might be having the browser poll the server... You should determine what your server can't handle.  40req/3sec doesn't sound all that onerous.  Unless every request is pulling the entire table, maybe you need to refine your queries.

If the problem is pulling from the database, or network RTT, then moving the polling server-side may help that, but you're still going to have a loop something like

Loop forever {
  query mysql for new messages for my client
  Got some? Cool. Output to client (cfoutput, pkt like I did) for as many as there are
  Sleep for some reasonable amount of time
}

(Because, AFAIK, MySQL doesn't have something similar to MSSQL's Service Broker to do message queueing, and things like WAITFOR CONVERSATION)

At least looping server side means you have the control server side to make sure the polling is on your terms.  And still there's going to be some sort of requesttimeout to contend with, at which point, yes, the browser should reconnect to the stream.

Inherent in this too is remembering the last message the client saw.. so you may need to retrieve state before the loop, update state throughout the loop... so you don't rebroadcast messages they've already seen.

Or when you first generate the page, you don't use the eventsource... you render what they should see, and from that point use the event source for near-realtime delivery.  (It'll never be truly realtime with polling)  There are tons of options.

One option would be to use an actual messaging platform.  Jabber/GChat or roll your own messaging with RabbitMQ or similar.  Socket.io on the client side, STOMP on Rabbit, manage your channels, good to go.  Which is more like what I'd do - use the right technology for the right problem.

with

Would be suitable to start playing.

-G

>> > --
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/CAKY58c4pPqN8KcUaiFTvK-PZtJzp_HcN-5RZ_HxPX_%2BB2%3Diqew%40mail.gmail.com.

Phillip Vector

Feb 12, 2017, 10:41:54 PM2/12/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the advise. :) This is enough I think to get me moving
in the right direction. :)

>> > --
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/CAKY58c7qWBnY%3D3Fc6XSrvjOeabVRxEAqC5eRHjqFh%2BPzDObR_w%40mail.gmail.com.

>> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/CAKY58c68gjOjqer43PT610FXXaoDJT%3De9ux4ReW2k7YS2%2B7M5Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Joseph Gooch

Feb 13, 2017, 7:07:53 AM2/13/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Also it's entirely possible you need both tech - MySQL for message history, rendering the client at load, ability to search through history by keyword, receipt of messages while not connected, scrollback buffers to see past messages, etc.  SSE/Websockets/Messaging Queues for realtime delivery of new messages. (i.e. sendmsg would populate both the DB and the messaging queues)

Depends on whether your chat is more like IRC (no history or search, only realtime message delivery, history at the client level only) or Slack (history, searching, offline delivery, and realtime messages)

-G