AWS Ubuntu/nginx installation on boot/cloud-init

Michael van Leest

Feb 10, 2015, 5:14:44 PM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm trying to get started with a clean installation script for Lucee on Ubuntu with nginx (on AWS).

I've seen http://dnando.github.io/blog/2015/01/05/advantages-of-nginx/ and that already helped getting started with trying to set stuff up through ssh.

Is there anyone on the list that has (and is willing to share) a cloud-init script to setup Lucee/Tomcat/Nginx on Ubuntu? Any pointers are very welcome as I'm still trying to get the hang of linux/Ubuntu.

Thanks!

--
Michael van Leest

Michael van Leest

Feb 10, 2015, 8:10:05 PM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
After some more searching I've found that Mike Sprague committed his LEMTL project a few hours ago.
Thanks for this Mike, the bash scripts in that project are exactly what I was looking for.

As soon as I have a working cloud-init script, I'll make it available too.

Michael
--
Michael van Leest

Michael Sprague

Feb 10, 2015, 8:17:40 PM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Glad that could be of use. I missed your message earlier or would have posted a link to that project myself. The main repo is on Github (https://github.com/mikesprague/vagrant-lemtl) but I added it to the my Bitbucket account too since that's where the Lucee source is (both repos are identical and will be kept up to date).

Will be interested to see your cloud-init script once it's working.

Best,

Mike

Pete Freitag

Feb 10, 2015, 8:23:43 PM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
You might also find this useful https://github.com/foundeo/ubuntu-nginx-railo/

Pete Freitag - Adobe Community Professional
http://foundeo.com/ - ColdFusion Consulting & Products
http://hackmycf.com - Is your ColdFusion Server Secure?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubESB87vl5U - FuseGuard your CFML in 10 minutes

Michael van Leest

Feb 10, 2015, 9:44:10 PM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys!
Will let you know when I have something workable.

Michael

Michael van Leest

Adam Chapman

Feb 10, 2015, 9:51:04 PM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Howdy..

This Docker container hold some clues. I use it to deploy to AWS Elastic Beanstalk.. It's Ubuntu, Railo & Nginx..

Regards,
Adam

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015, Michael van Leest <mvan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to get started with a clean installation script for Lucee on Ubuntu with nginx (on AWS).

I've seen http://dnando.github.io/blog/2015/01/05/advantages-of-nginx/ and that already helped getting started with trying to set stuff up through ssh.

Is there anyone on the list that has (and is willing to share) a cloud-init script to setup Lucee/Tomcat/Nginx on Ubuntu? Any pointers are very welcome as I'm still trying to get the hang of linux/Ubuntu.

Thanks!

--
Michael van Leest

Pete Freitag - Adobe Community Professional
http://foundeo.com/ - ColdFusion Consulting & Products
http://hackmycf.com - Is your ColdFusion Server Secure?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubESB87vl5U - FuseGuard your CFML in 10 minutes

Michael van Leest

Terry Whitney

Feb 13, 2015, 2:52:27 PM2/13/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Ubuntu performance is lackluster, and the use of non long term supported kernels in 14.x makes me leary

While you can gain some insight into how to here

http://evilware.com/20140709/linux/installing-railo-centos-6-5.html

you should be able to start the service in the rc.local by issuing the command

username /pathtobinary/<parms>

Jonathan van Zuijlekom

Feb 27, 2015, 2:33:04 AM2/27/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I have a script to install nginx (tengine version with load balancing), tomcat and lucee. It also hardens the server (firewall, ids, ips, rootkit hunters etc.) I'll make a version available on github in the next week and post the link here.

Bill Tindal

Jun 1, 2015, 6:54:16 PM6/1/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Any update on your script Jonathan?