Lucee Express 5: good on Mac, no go on Windows

John Farrar

Jun 8, 2016, 2:27:20 PM6/8/16
to Lucee
That about covers it for me. Has anyone else been able to get this running? I tried yesterday.

Note: I have a goal of creating an app that is based on Lucee Express just as a can I research.

John Farrar

Mark Drew

Jun 8, 2016, 2:28:42 PM6/8/16
to lucee
So no more details? In the Lucee Meetup you said you didn’t have a JVM installed, that would be the reason. You need both a JVM and a JAVA_HOME environment variable as far as I remember

Regards

Mark Drew

--
Win a ticket to dev.objective from Lucee via Twitter, see http://bit.ly/1UbTMWj for details, good luck and see you there...

John Farrar

Jun 8, 2016, 2:38:25 PM6/8/16
to Lucee
Mark,

First, thanks for the reply. In the Railo Express, did we need to install those things? It seems like we did not. What I am looking at is the barrier to adoption which we call friction in marketing speak.

Granted, it is OK with me if that is not the goal of this product but if it is a possible use case then I certainly want to explore it as an option.

Regards,

John Farrar

Mark Drew

Jun 8, 2016, 2:42:03 PM6/8/16
to lucee
You are welcome to raise a ticket:  http://bugs.lucee.org

AFAIK There is one version of lucee express for all operating systems and it would fail in all if they didn’t have Java installed as it doesn’t include a JRE. The installer might include it but I don’t know.

Regards

Mark Drew

--
Win a ticket to dev.objective from Lucee via Twitter, see http://bit.ly/1UbTMWj for details, good luck and see you there...

John Farrar

Jun 8, 2016, 2:59:12 PM6/8/16
to Lucee
 Good point, that would require different JDK resources for each platform.

Nando Breiter

Jun 8, 2016, 3:58:52 PM6/8/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
What I am looking at is the barrier to adoption which we call friction in marketing speak.

My opinion ...

I was looking at this barrier yesterday, from the other side of it. Somebody here asked for help creating a dependent drop down, a country / states UI where selecting a country would populate the list of states for that country. I googled for a minute and found an excellent jquery example in PHP, countries -> states, clear as a bell. He complained, saying he wanted a fully fleshed out example in CFML, when he could have simply copied and pasted the code, changing .php to .cfm and a php loop into a cfml loop.

Programming is full of friction. I think we do ourselves a disservice by perpetuating this "ColdFusion" idea that everything can be made so that none of us have to confront challenges. Maybe it's good marketing, but the problem with that idea is that in any application of any value or complexity, it's simply not true. We cripple ourselves with the notion that there should not be barriers and challenges in programming, that it should be easy

Installing the JVM isn't hard to do, basically download and double click the installer. It's good practice for when it comes time to update the JVM. Hand holding is fine, I'm not against it. There can be clear instructions how to install Lucee. But I think we all, myself included, need to erase any remnants of that original, alluring marketing message from Allaire / Macromedia / Adobe from our heads - that promise of easy. Web application programming just didn't work out that way.

In the evolving technological environment we find ourselves in, the friction of challenge is good. The slippery slide down easy is poisonous.

I have no objection to an easier installer. It's the "ColdFusionish" idea that the barrier to adoption can be removed or ameliorated. It ain't so. It's the false promise that is the barrier.

:-) n

mark

Jun 8, 2016, 5:53:30 PM6/8/16
to Lucee
John,
the old Railo express version had the option of downloading with or without jre included,
it's really not necessary to download the full jdk or jre installer if your just going to run Lucee.
just extract to a drive and create an environment variable (in windows) pointing to it's location

new system variable,
variable name --- JAVA_HOME
variable value --- F:\jdk or whatever drive and folder name you've given.

run the start.bat in Lucee 5 and it should run without issue, but I would strongly suggest
updating Lucee to the latest snapshot as the release has problems removing jars left behind
from uninstalled extensions.

John Farrar

Jun 9, 2016, 9:22:49 AM6/9/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Wow, interesting opinion Nando. I can do these things but my goal was not for developers but end users. Imagine if a "smart phone" required these steps to get set up. There are setup steps the end user accepts and things they do not. My goal was the end user.

I do see your point with developers, and it that is a different case for sure. Yet, what is obviously easy to me may be abstract to another. We do want to make sure we are not loosing developers because something that seems easy to me is not easy to others. That is where usability testing comes in. Sadly it is something we are not good at doing with developers. Typically we think usability testing is only about end users.