New Blog Post - Lucee 5 features reviewed - Static

Andrew Dixon

Apr 22, 2015, 5:37:02 PM4/22/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

There is a new blog post with lots of details and examples of the new static function in Lucee 5 on the blog:

http://lucee.org/blog/lucee-5-features-reviewed-static.html

Kind regards,

Andrew
about.me
mso - Lucee - Member

Nando Breiter

Apr 22, 2015, 6:04:51 PM4/22/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

Excellent post!

Aria Media Sagl
Via Rompada 40
6987 Caslano
Switzerland

+41 (0)91 600 9601
+41 (0)76 303 4477 cell
skype: ariamedia

Michael van Leest

Apr 22, 2015, 6:24:18 PM4/22/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Great post. Thanks!
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/CAGHrs%3D-sMDftUwbsEU4G1w0%2B5ayaN9sMenc9oaP5N7VMv2%3DS5w%40mail.gmail.com.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Adam Chapman

Apr 22, 2015, 8:30:12 PM4/22/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Excellent post! Thank you.. Hope to see more like this..

James Holmes

Apr 22, 2015, 10:30:19 PM4/22/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I'm just going to roll this hand grenade into the room and walk away.

Kai Koenig

Apr 22, 2015, 10:54:01 PM4/22/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
A lot of the arguments are valid — in an academic world of object-orientedness.

In such a world, functional programming would be wrong either.

The reality is: the concept of static can be useful in a variety of scenarios, similarly to a Singleton (which is according to some people also the root of all evil — and it can be, but it depends on the use case).

Anyway, happy for Lucee to have that now.

My question to Andrew and the LAS though is: Do I understand it correctly that this is and will be available in Lucee’s CFML dialect or is that going to be a .lucee feature?

Cheers
Kai

Michael Offner

Apr 23, 2015, 1:33:22 AM4/23/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
All new features lucee 5 has are available in both dialects....

Micha

Adam Cameron

Apr 23, 2015, 1:36:19 AM4/23/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, 23 April 2015 03:30:19 UTC+1, James Holmes wrote:
I'm just going to roll this hand grenade into the room and walk away.

Michael Offner

Apr 23, 2015, 1:38:55 AM4/23/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion static is like salt, you need it to survive but you should not take to much of it, in other words don't overdo it.
In my opinion this arguments also only have some ground on strict oo language like Java but not on languages like cfml or php.

Micha

Jean Moniatte

Apr 23, 2015, 2:59:01 AM4/23/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the post.

Is there a RSS feed we can subscribe to for the lucee blog?

Jean

Adam Cameron

Apr 23, 2015, 3:13:11 AM4/23/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, 23 April 2015 03:30:19 UTC+1, James Holmes wrote:
I'm just going to roll this hand grenade into the room and walk away.

The limitations static methods have when it comes to DI could be mitigated by Ryan's suggestion here: https://bitbucket.org/lucee/lucee/issue/258/inability-to-refer-to-static-members

I think being able to reference classes & static methods dynamically is a very CFMLish idea, and would be quite handy.

Certainly in our own work we are very cautious about using static methods before of the barriers they throw up to testing. And I've yet encountered a case for static properties (over just constants, which we do use). But a mutable value shared across all instances of a class? Nah, I don't think there's many good use cases for that.

Anyway, my main point was go have a look @ Ryan's  E/R.

--
Adam

Adam Cameron

Apr 23, 2015, 3:14:33 AM4/23/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, 23 April 2015 07:59:01 UTC+1, jmoniatte wrote:
Thanks for the post.

Is there a RSS feed we can subscribe to for the lucee blog?

Last time someone asked (a coupla weeks back) the person who could switch this on or make it happen or whatever was out of the office until the following week (I suspect it was Dom?). It's probably not on their radar though. It'd be a great help though, as it's how I track blogs still. Call me old-school.

--
Adam

Jean Moniatte

Apr 23, 2015, 3:22:36 AM4/23/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Adam Cameron <camero...@gmail.com> wrote:
Call me old-school.

Nothing beats RSS.

Michael Offner

Apr 23, 2015, 3:47:36 AM4/23/15
to lucee
out of curiosity i did a count of the keyword static in the Java Runtime Enviroment (Version 5, was the newest source i had), they use the keyword static 35975 times ;-)

Micha

Adam Cameron

Apr 23, 2015, 4:11:30 AM4/23/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, 23 April 2015 08:47:36 UTC+1, Micha wrote:
out of curiosity i did a count of the keyword static in the Java Runtime Enviroment (Version 5, was the newest source i had), they use the keyword static 35975 times ;-)

Yup.

As per that link that I posted regarding Betteridge's Law. In general when a headline asks a question like "Am I confident of the basis of this article?", one can immediately assume the answer is "no".

If the author was sure of himself, the article title would be "Static Methods/Variables are bad practice" rather than "Are Static Methods/Variables bad practice?"

Still: it's food for thought.

I'd rather have and not need, than need and not have.

--
Adam