random OT education question for non-native english speakers

Robert Munn

Aug 10, 2015, 5:07:47 PM8/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
For my friends in non-english speaking countries, I was wondering whether comp. sci. courses in your country are taught entirely in native languages or native languages and english. For non-english classes, are there lots of english textbooks translated into native languages or are there authors producing textbooks in native languages?

Wondering about the realistic opportunities for Americans to study something like Comp. Sci. outside the U.S. without being fluent in the local language.

Nando Breiter

Aug 10, 2015, 6:22:36 PM8/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Franklin College in Lugano Switzerland ? Not sure of their curriculum
but all courses are taught in English, I believe.

> On 10 Aug 2015, at 23:07, Robert Munn <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For my friends in non-english speaking countries, I was wondering whether comp. sci. courses in your country are taught entirely in native languages or native languages and english. For non-english classes, are there lots of english textbooks translated into native languages or are there authors producing textbooks in native languages?
>
> Wondering about the realistic opportunities for Americans to study something like Comp. Sci. outside the U.S. without being fluent in the local language.
>

> --
> See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/
> ---

Jean Moniatte

Aug 10, 2015, 10:39:11 PM8/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

French universities usually teach in French, regardless of the course.

Merci,
Jean
----
Jean Moniatte
UGAL
http://www.ugal.com
----

Mark Drew

Aug 11, 2015, 2:36:17 AM8/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
The French generally hate any other language so they even create words in French for new concepts. Maybe not the "Le Internet" though?

Mark Drew
- Sent by typing with my thumbs.

Kai Koenig

Aug 11, 2015, 3:17:43 AM8/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
In Germany most courses would be taught in German unless explicitly mentioned.

Students would (depending on the paper) sometimes use text books or articles etc in English. On a graduate level (if one was writing the Masters or Phd thesis) more happens in English.

Cheers
Kai

> On 10/08/2015, at 10:07 pm, Robert Munn <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For my friends in non-english speaking countries, I was wondering whether comp. sci. courses in your country are taught entirely in native languages or native languages and english. For non-english classes, are there lots of english textbooks translated into native languages or are there authors producing textbooks in native languages?
>
> Wondering about the realistic opportunities for Americans to study something like Comp. Sci. outside the U.S. without being fluent in the local language.

Jochem van Dieten

Aug 11, 2015, 3:19:45 AM8/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:07 PM, Robert Munn wrote:
For my friends in non-english speaking countries, I was wondering whether comp. sci. courses in your country are taught entirely in native languages or native languages and english.

Depending on the institution the bachelor program might be in English or Dutch, and the master program is in English.

Jochem

Robert Munn

Aug 11, 2015, 2:18:02 PM8/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for the input.

--
See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

Jean Moniatte

Aug 11, 2015, 3:03:10 PM8/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Dick. That's the one word we do not have a translation for.

Merci,
Jean
----
Jean Moniatte