JRE_HOME

Adam Cameron

Feb 4, 2015, 4:13:59 AM2/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
G'day:
I just did another Lucee Express "install", and when I started it up, it bleated about me not having a JRE_HOME environment variable set. OK, this is true, but I'm wondering why my JAVA_HOME didn't suffice here?

I can't ever recall having to set a JRE_HOME variable before (this could be an artifact of bad memory, that said ;-)

--
Adam

AJ Mercer

Feb 4, 2015, 4:19:02 AM2/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Railo Express came bundled with a JRE
Lucee does not

Michael Offner

Feb 4, 2015, 4:39:27 AM2/4/15
to lucee
We decided no longer to provide Lucee with 5 different versions of the Eexpress, because we assumed Java will not be the issue for most people...

Micha

Adam Cameron

Feb 4, 2015, 5:12:22 AM2/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
None of these comments really answers (or even addresses) my question.

--
Adam

Peter Pham

Feb 4, 2015, 5:51:21 AM2/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
That explains a lot.
I did a fresh install of Lucee instead of migrating from Railo and was surprised that it failed because of JRE (didn't recall that I had to do so with Railo)
In addition, I was running JDK v1.6 on Mac Yosemite, and the error was probably not clear what it was.
Upgrading to JDK v1.8 to match Tomcat requirements seems to solve the issue.

On Wednesday, 4 February 2015, Adam Cameron <dac...@gmail.com> wrote:
G'day:
I just did another Lucee Express "install", and when I started it up, it bleated about me not having a JRE_HOME environment variable set. OK, this is true, but I'm wondering why my JAVA_HOME didn't suffice here?

I can't ever recall having to set a JRE_HOME variable before (this could be an artifact of bad memory, that said ;-)

--
Adam

Michael Offner

Feb 4, 2015, 6:35:26 AM2/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
This question:
OK, this is true, but I'm wondering why my JAVA_HOME didn't suffice here?

I need to check, are you sure java_home is set?

Micha

Alex Skinner

Feb 4, 2015, 6:47:34 AM2/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Micha,

Please refer to Adam's blog post about the express install, there are some wrinkles.

Thanks

Alex

Alex Skinner
Managing Director

Pixl8 Interactive, 3 Tun Yard, Peardon Street, London
SW8 3HT, United Kingdom

T: +44 [0] 845 260 0726 W: www.pixl8.co.uk E: in...@pixl8.co.uk

Follow us on: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED - This e-mail and any attachment is intended solely for the addressee, is strictly confidential and may also be subject to legal, professional or other privilege or may be protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you are not the addressee please do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments. Instead, please email it back to the sender and then immediately permanently delete it. Pixl8 Interactive Ltd Registered in England. Registered number: 04336501. Registered office: 8 Spur Road, Cosham, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3EB

Michael Offner

Feb 4, 2015, 6:57:01 AM2/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I just did and we will improve that build asap.
Problems seems only to happe n in windows

Micha

Adam Cameron

Feb 4, 2015, 6:59:51 AM2/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On 4 February 2015 at 11:35, Michael Offner <mic...@lucee.org> wrote:
This question:
OK, this is true, but I'm wondering why my JAVA_HOME didn't suffice here?

I need to check, are you sure java_home is set?

Aha... it was set, but not to a valid value. Once I sorted that out, I don't need the JRE_HOME value.

Makes sense!

--
Adam

Message has been deleted

Dave Merrill

Feb 4, 2015, 7:38:16 AM2/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
My JAVA_HOME var was set, to a valid value, and I had the problem documented in the other thread.

After seeing this thread, I set JRE_HOME to point to the JRE inside that same JDK in startup.bat, and everything works, so thanks much for that.

No sure if this is the right solution or not, given that Micha has said (I think) that something needs to be fixed for that build in Windows.

Dave

Michael Offner

Feb 4, 2015, 7:54:24 AM2/4/15
to lucee
the fix for me is, not depending on JRE_HOME...

Micha

Cyril Oatley

Feb 4, 2015, 8:16:03 AM2/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I did the same thing as Peter. Wanting to do a clean install not a migration. I followed step by step the express setup instructions.. The first time I ran the startup.bat the first thing it did was complain about my environment variables. a quick check of the system variables showed I had the following set. CATALINA_HOME, JAVA_HOME. and TOMCAT_HOME. I added the system variable JRE_HOME and poof up and running.