Spelling / typos / grammar errors on the Lucee site

Adam Cameron

Feb 2, 2015, 4:29:28 PM2/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
(as per earlier message on the old forums)

G'day:
I'll be going over the Lucee website and fixing up any errors I find. I've done a few just now, but I have seen others in the last coupla days I cannot find any more, so am probably being defeated by the site structure.

If you find any spelling / type / grammar errors, please let me know what they are in a reply to this thread. Include the URL pls.

Not: I will not be making any actual content changes (ie: the intent of the wording), I'll just be dealing with the mechanical issues.

Alex or Micha (probably Alex?) I guess will deal with the actual content, if you see anything amiss there. Pls raise that separately.

Cheers.

--
Adam

Andrew Dixon

Feb 2, 2015, 4:43:19 PM2/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

On the right side under the title "Contact us to get a Member" the word "interested" and "association" is spelt wrong.

Also the first part of the sentence doesn't really make sense:

"If you are interested to get a Member of the Lucee Association Switzerland..."

maybe something more like:

"If you are interested in becoming a member of the Lucee Association Switzerland..."

Kind regards,

Andrew

Adam Cameron

Feb 2, 2015, 4:46:32 PM2/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Haha, yeah, was just trying to fix that. I can't find where in Preside it's being maintained (I'm a bit of a Preside n00b). Have pinged Alex for guidance.

Will get it sorted as soon as I know how!

--
Adam

Adam Cameron

Feb 2, 2015, 5:35:49 PM2/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On 2 February 2015 at 21:46, Adam Cameron <dac...@gmail.com> wrote:
Haha, yeah, was just trying to fix that. I can't find where in Preside it's being maintained (I'm a bit of a Preside n00b). Have pinged Alex for guidance.

Will get it sorted as soon as I know how!

Should be fixed now. Sing out if you see any more.

--
Adam

John Berquist

Feb 2, 2015, 5:46:37 PM2/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

The overview page (http://lucee.org/overview.html) could use a bit of work. There are some singular/plural this/these mismatches. You will also see "build in support" and "a built in support" in addition the correct "built in support". I think the "Cacheing" header should be "Caching". It also uses some phrasing that doesn't seem quite right, such as "in the most simple way" and "is supporting" instead of "supports".

John

Adam Cameron

Feb 2, 2015, 5:58:51 PM2/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Cheers John.
I'll get onto that tomorrow. It's shut-eye time in my TZ now.

--
Adam

Andrew Dixon

Feb 3, 2015, 5:21:26 AM2/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

Pretty much all the links on the Ortus Solutions page to their website are broken:

Kind regards,

Andrew

Dave Merrill

Feb 3, 2015, 7:38:15 AM2/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

Thanks for all your work on this.

Before getting into specifics, my normal bitbucket login apparently lets me edit the Wiki myself. Should I just go ahead with the changes outlined below, or do we want to keep this more centralized?

Note that the last two items are judgement calls, not obvious language issues.

SPECIFIC ISSUES on this page: https://bitbucket.org/lucee/lucee/wiki/Download%20and%20Install:

- Lucee Server comes in different flavors to match your need as good as possible
-> Lucee Server comes in different flavors to match your needs

- "Lucee Express" is a version made it possible to test Lucee without to install it on the system
-> "Lucee Express" allows you to test Lucee without installing it, just run it from the command line.

- You need or want to use Lucee in different environment [...]
-> If you want to use Lucee in different environment

- I'm not sure if this is intentional, but the download links in the Wiki go directly to bitbucket (https://bitbucket.org/lucee/lucee/downloads), but the one on lucee.org goes to a landing page there (http://lucee.org/downloads.html). The links on the lucee.org landing page are to bitbucket, so they're functionally the same, but it might make sense if the landing page was consistent. Or not...

- The Installers section on that page implies there ARE installers, but there aren't any yet. The downloads landing page on lucee.org says that. Don't know how soon installers will be available, or if it's worth chasing this until then.

Dave

Adam Cameron

Feb 3, 2015, 7:44:00 AM2/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On 3 February 2015 at 12:38, Dave Merrill <enig...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Adam,

Thanks for all your work on this.

Before getting into specifics, my normal bitbucket login apparently lets me edit the Wiki myself. Should I just go ahead with the changes outlined below, or do we want to keep this more centralized?

Oh... I'm just looking after the website, not the wiki. I presume the intent is for ppl to adjust the Wiki as needs must. That's the rasion d'etre of wikis, after all?

--
Adam

Julian Halliwell

Feb 3, 2015, 7:54:32 AM2/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I've already done some copy editing on the migration wiki page,
assuming it was open to anyone to fix.

There's a version history in case of mistakes, but take care not to
break inbound links, as I'm ashamed to say I did when I changed
"update" to "migrate".

Michael Offner

Feb 3, 2015, 8:11:44 AM2/3/15
to lucee
fixed, thx for the input ...

Micha

Dave Merrill

Feb 3, 2015, 8:22:49 AM2/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
OK done.

I didn't change the download link, or say anything about installers not being available yet. If anyone has a strong opinion about strategy there, speak up, or make it so.

Dave

Adam Cameron

Feb 5, 2015, 6:33:12 PM2/5/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On 2 February 2015 at 22:46, John Berquist <jcber...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Adam,

The overview page (http://lucee.org/overview.html) could use a bit of work. There are some singular/plural this/these mismatches. You will also see "build in support" and "a built in support" in addition the correct "built in support". I think the "Cacheing" header should be "Caching". It also uses some phrasing that doesn't seem quite right, such as "in the most simple way" and "is supporting" instead of "supports".

Apologies for the delay... I've given that page the once over. I've tweaked the spelling, grammar, and how some of the sentence scan, but still think the copy as a whole needs revision. That's not for me to do though: I'm just a drone.

--
Adam

Adam Cameron

Feb 5, 2015, 6:37:56 PM2/5/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On 3 February 2015 at 10:21, Andrew Dixon <andrew...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Adam,

Pretty much all the links on the Ortus Solutions page to their website are broken:

I think someone else beat me too it: all the links seem to work for me.

--
Adam

Andrew Dixon

Feb 6, 2015, 4:12:01 AM2/6/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Yep, Alex replied just to me to say he had done it.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Dave Merrill

Feb 10, 2015, 8:40:31 AM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
To whoever is fixing such things, I just noticed a misspelling on the Lucee home page:

Let us know if your Application is working with Lucee ? We will soon create a seperate page.

Adam Cameron

Feb 10, 2015, 9:08:17 AM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On 10 February 2015 at 13:40, Dave Merrill <enig...@gmail.com> wrote:
To whoever is fixing such things, I just noticed a misspelling on the Lucee home page:

Let us know if your Application is working with Lucee ? We will soon create a seperate page.

Fixed.

Cheers for the heads-up.

--
Adam

Andrew Dixon

Feb 10, 2015, 9:20:02 AM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

Just noticed the links on under "Corporate Supporter" and "Enterprise Supporter" on this page http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html are all broken.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Adam Cameron

Feb 10, 2015, 10:03:52 AM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

On 10 February 2015 at 14:20, Andrew Dixon <andrew...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Adam,

Just noticed the links on under "Corporate Supporter" and "Enterprise Supporter" on this page http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html are all broken.

Yeah, I dunno how to fix that via the CMS admin thingey. Looks to me like the pages are gone? Not sure.

ALEX OR DOM??

--
Adam

Dominic Watson

Feb 10, 2015, 10:18:04 AM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Having a look now, there appears to be an implementation problem (links being created when there is in fact nothing to link to).

Pixl8 Interactive, 3 Tun Yard, Peardon Street, London
SW8 3HT, United Kingdom

T: +44 [0] 845 260 0726 W: www.pixl8.co.uk E: in...@pixl8.co.uk

Follow us on: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED - This e-mail and any attachment is intended solely for the addressee, is strictly confidential and may also be subject to legal, professional or other privilege or may be protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you are not the addressee please do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments. Instead, please email it back to the sender and then immediately permanently delete it. Pixl8 Interactive Ltd Registered in England. Registered number: 04336501. Registered office: 8 Spur Road, Cosham, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3EB

Dominic Watson

Feb 10, 2015, 10:36:21 AM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Fix in place and links removed (there was nothing to link to it would seem). Good spot Andrew.

Andrew Dixon

Feb 10, 2015, 12:07:28 PM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dominic,

They still seem to be wrong:

Inline images 1

Look at the status bar (just above), assume it is something to do with the double quotes.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Dominic Watson

Feb 10, 2015, 12:40:48 PM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andrew - I had only noticed the links on the main titles. Will take a look now.

I've not had an opportunity to review the code behind the site. I'll take the earliest opportunity to do so.

Dominic Watson

Feb 10, 2015, 1:01:01 PM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
This time a content issue. I've updated the links and spent some time tidying up the formatting of each of the support info promos (and also a little wording, ahem). I'll bug the powers that be for some official process around this.

Andrew Dixon

Feb 10, 2015, 2:18:55 PM2/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Jesse Shaffer

Feb 23, 2015, 11:13:45 AM2/23/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
"you get a membership or the Lucee technical advisory committee"

This should be "on" or "of".  Or, perhaps it could be better stated as "you become a member of the Lucee technical advisory comittee"

Adam Cameron

Feb 23, 2015, 2:13:52 PM2/23/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On 24 February 2015 at 05:13, Jesse Shaffer <dajest...@gmail.com> wrote:
"you get a membership or the Lucee technical advisory committee"

This should be "on" or "of".  Or, perhaps it could be better stated as "you become a member of the Lucee technical advisory comittee"

Done. Cheers.

--
Adam