Lucee Docs on Dash?

Daniel Short

May 14, 2015, 11:01:08 AM5/14/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Has there been any progress on getting the Lucee docs in a format available in Dash? Would love to see some Lucee help in Sublime. I know there was a brief discussion of this back in February, but I'm not sure there was a solid resolution.

Thanks,

Dan

Dominic Watson

May 16, 2015, 2:44:58 AM5/16/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
There's certainly no working solution as yet - though an issue has been raised. If you're keen to help out, can show you how to create custom builds of the docs (the dash docs could be a first alternative build)... :)

Dominic

Pixl8 Interactive, 3 Tun Yard, Peardon Street, London
SW8 3HT, United Kingdom

T: +44 [0] 845 260 0726 W: www.pixl8.co.uk E: in...@pixl8.co.uk

Follow us on: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED - This e-mail and any attachment is intended solely for the addressee, is strictly confidential and may also be subject to legal, professional or other privilege or may be protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you are not the addressee please do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments. Instead, please email it back to the sender and then immediately permanently delete it. Pixl8 Interactive Ltd Registered in England. Registered number: 04336501. Registered office: 8 Spur Road, Cosham, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3EB

Dominic Watson

May 16, 2015, 3:09:01 AM5/16/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Daniel Short

May 16, 2015, 9:44:43 PM5/16/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
A quick tour of how to build a new doc format would be awesome.

Dan
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Lucee" group.

Dominic Watson

May 17, 2015, 2:32:25 AM5/17/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
The super quick version (we'll need to get this in the 'about the docs' guide at some point):

* Beneath the /builders folder is a folder per builder. Right now, there is only an html builder. For dash, we would add a 'dash' folder and so on.
* Each builder folder is required to have a Builder.cfc file that implements two public methods (see below)

So for Dash, we would have:

/lucee-docs
-> /builders
-> -> /dash
-> -> -> Builder.cfc

The /builders/html/Builder.cfc file should provide a pretty good base reference from which to copy. Below is a little more detail though:

Required methods for Builder.cfc

public void function build( docTree, buildDirectory ){..}

This will be called once to build the documentation. It is up to the build method to do whatever it takes to build the output in its target format.

* docTree is a api.data.DocTree object. docTree.getTree() will return an array of page objects. Each page object has a method 'getChildren()' that will return an array of page objects (if it has any children)
* buildDirectory is the directory that the build system want your builder to output its artefacts

-----

public string function renderLink( page, title ){..}

* page - object representing the page to link to
* title - text for the link

Helper methods available to Builder.cfc

renderTemplate( string template, struct args )

* Template path is relative to the Builder.cfc file
* args will be available to the .cfm file

Helper methods available to templates rendered with renderTemplate()

markdownToHtml( markdown )

Dominic

michae...@arcor.de

Jun 24, 2015, 6:04:32 AM6/24/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Quick general update based on personal experience:

To officially add the docset to the standard list in Dash and its Windows counterpart Velocity it's necessary to "vote" for it by contacting sup...@kapeli.com (kinda makes sense if they want to avoid clutter).
While Velocity doesn't have direct support for feeds like the one mentioned at http://docs.lucee.org/download.html the next best Windows alternative is Zeal (http://zealdocs.org/), which while it doesn't look as nice as the other two, is free, open source, available for Windows & Linux and adding the feed is just a matter of two mouse clicks.

Dominic Watson

Jun 24, 2015, 7:25:19 AM6/24/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I did not realize that Velocity did not support the feed style, that's a shame. I used Zeal when setting up and testing the feed and it works great on my linux laptop - the look and feel isn't stunning, but it gets you to the docs super fast and that's really what matters.

Getting the docs in the official list is an interesting one. The process is not easy to automate, involves forking the Dash repository, adding your docs to a particular directory and commiting them, then submitting a pull request. If anyone is interested in helping out around effecting this then great. For this to work I think we'd need a semi-regular manual process to do this rather than the fully automated system that is currently in place.

Dominic