Spoolmail for Lucee

Jamie Jackson

Jun 18, 2015, 1:39:06 PM6/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

I used to use SpoolMail ( https://github.com/cfjedimaster/SpoolMail ) in ACF to intercept/view email, for local development testing of CFML-generated email.

What are people using to do this sort of thing in Lucee? (Lucee is mentioned in in the readme, but instructions are purely ACF.)

Thanks,
Jamie

Julian Halliwell

Jun 18, 2015, 3:01:26 PM6/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Windows only, but https://smtp4dev.codeplex.com/ is great. No need to
log into any admin, it sits in the tray and intercepts mail, which you
can then view using your favourite mail client.

Dan Skaggs

Jun 18, 2015, 3:03:48 PM6/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Another option if you need cross-platform is FakeSMTP

Andrew Dixon

Jun 18, 2015, 4:40:44 PM6/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
We use GreenMail:

It's pretty good and has SMTP, POP3 and IMAP, so you can actually retrieve the emails you send via the "fake" SMTP server.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Jamie Jackson

Jun 19, 2015, 6:25:11 PM6/19/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I spent about a half hour playing with GreenMail. (I arbitrarily started with that one first; I haven't tried FakeSMTP yet.)

It looks like GreenMail would be good solution for certain kinds of testing, but I'm not sure it meets my needs for routine local development: I'd like for all mail (regardless of recipient address) to end up in one place--as how SpoolMail worked; however GreenMail seems to create mailboxes for each recipient address.

I need to run for today, but let me know if you happen to know if GreenMail can be configured to funnel all mail into a single mailbox. (Or if FakeSMTP can.)

I'll pick back up on Monday.

Thanks,
Jamie

ni...@niallodoherty.com

Jun 20, 2015, 6:26:17 AM6/20/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com, dominic...@pixl8.co.uk
Hi Jamie,
I've recently used http://mailcatcher.me/ and it works a treat for seeing sent emails.

HTH
Niall

Mark Drew

Jun 20, 2015, 7:15:13 AM6/20/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
FakeSMTP saves all mail as a separate file

Mark Drew
- Sent by typing with my thumbs.

Mark Drew

Jun 20, 2015, 8:21:02 AM6/20/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I think that Alex Skinner built an SMTP event gateway at one point. That would be the good basis to start with no?

Mark Drew
- Sent by typing with my thumbs.

Dominic Watson

Jun 20, 2015, 10:33:36 AM6/20/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, we have a product internally built on Lucee that does this with multiple mailboxes and client logins, etc. I've some experimental code that could work this up into a cross platform node-webkit application - but will require some effort (and time - that I lack). For local development testing - Niall's suggestion of MailCatcher is a good one I think. Simple to setup and does the trick.

Pixl8 Interactive, 3 Tun Yard, Peardon Street, London
SW8 3HT, United Kingdom

T: +44 [0] 845 260 0726 W: www.pixl8.co.uk E: in...@pixl8.co.uk

Follow us on: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED - This e-mail and any attachment is intended solely for the addressee, is strictly confidential and may also be subject to legal, professional or other privilege or may be protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you are not the addressee please do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments. Instead, please email it back to the sender and then immediately permanently delete it. Pixl8 Interactive Ltd Registered in England. Registered number: 04336501. Registered office: 8 Spur Road, Cosham, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3EB

Robert Munn

Jun 20, 2015, 2:30:46 PM6/20/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

I have been using Apache James. v 3.x is in beta. It has smtp, pop3, imap, runs on java, and is FOSS.

I have instructions on my blog for compiling it from source, and I am in process of creating a basic configuration doc for it.

www.bonnydoonmedia.com/blog

I will post more info later.

Robert

Alan Holden

Jun 20, 2015, 7:26:57 PM6/20/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
More of an enhancement request for Lucee than a solution for Jamie...
But the OpenBD CFML engine has a 'catchemail' setting - to snag and redirect all email for development, etc.
Al

Jamie Jackson

Jun 22, 2015, 3:23:26 PM6/22/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all who replied.

In the end, I went with Mailcatcher, on Niall's recommendation. It was pretty easy to install Mailcatcher, create an upstart job for it, and configure Lucee to use it--all via Vagrant provisioning.

Now, my team can simply "vagrant up", hit local.mysite.com:1080, and watch their local-app-generated mail appear in the Mailcatcher interface.

This was exactly the type of workflow I was looking for, and the fact that Mailcatcher provides both the fake SMTP server and the web interface was an added bonus.

Thanks,
Jamie

Mark Drew

Jun 22, 2015, 3:30:35 PM6/22/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Great stuff! I shall also check it out at some point.